Saturday, September 19, 2009

Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Publication Date: April 2, 2009



Summary: Choices. Seventeen-year-old Mia is faced with some tough ones: Stay true to her first love— music—even if it means losing her boyfriend and leaving her family and friends behind? Then one February morning Mia goes for a drive with her family, and in an instant, everything changes. Suddenly, all the choices are gone, except one. And it’s the only one that matters.

Review:
If I Stay is the first book I've read by Gayle Forman and it was just outstanding! This was one book I didn't want to put down until I knew what happened to Mia.

Its beautifully written and we can really connect with Mia, the main character in this story. Ms. Forman did a very good job in brining Mia and her life alive in this book.

The pace for the book is good and every turn of the page makes us want to read more.

I still can't believe how well Ms. Forman was able to bring the past and present together in such a way. She did a good job describing Mia's feeling of how she met and fell in love with Adam and how she had problems with her family but was able to figure them out.

Then came to part that made me cry: when Mia realizes she and her family have been in a car accident and now she must fight for her life.

Choices, is the theme of this novel, and the choices Mia has to make are some choices I hope I never have to make. She can choose either to go with her family or stay on earth without her mom, dad, and brother Teddy. And when Mia realizes that she still has a family, a family hoping she'll wake up soon and get better, she makes her choice.

Personally, I think Ms. Forman ended the book at the right place. Throughout the book, Mia's "Ghost" goes around the hospital watching her family and friends, and seeing how many people actually loved her and what she meant to them. I just about broke down when Mia says I head Adam for the first time today. It symbolized that Mia had indeed made her choice and was not a "ghost" but actually Mia, in her own body, alive.

If I Stay, is an amazing novel and everyone should read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS