Sunday, September 27, 2009

Review: Just Listen by Sarah Dessen



Last year, Annabel was "the girl who has everything"—at least that’s the part she played in the television commercial for Kopf ’s Department Store.This year, she’s the girl who has nothing: no best friend because mean-but-exciting Sophie dropped her, no peace at home since her older sister became anorexic, and no one to sit with at lunch. Until she meets Owen Armstrong. Tall, dark, and music-obsessed, Owen is a reformed bad boy with a commitment to truth-telling.With Owen’s help,maybe Annabel can face what happened the night she and Sophie stopped being friends.

I read this book for the first time in the 7th grade. Since then I have read this book more than 5 times. Every time I have read this book, I always have the same effect with it. This book is simply amazing and fabulous. The plot and character and dialogue of this book are just plain wonderful.
Annabel’s voice is carried out just so wonderfully, we can fell her pain and sadness and love. Annabel character takes us on an unforgettable ride. In this book, Annabel faces two issues that are so common these days: rape and anorexia. These things can happen to anyone and that is one of Dessen’s main points of this book. I think she is also trying to show how a girl who was raped tries to figure out what to do and how to tell someone about her story. To me, I thought Dessen was trying to tell us that we can get help is we find ourselves in a situation as these. That we’re not alone and that there are people who will do the biggest thing to help us : listen to our story.
When I read this book for the first time I couldn’t put it down! I just had to read on and see what happened to Annabel and her sisters and to see how things turned out (we can all predict that things turn out okay). After that I re-read the book, and loved it all over again!
Dessen is a very popular YA author and I highly recommend her books to everyone. She is very captivating and her books will keep you close to heart and will leave an impact on you, a good one! Though there are people who think her writing is sappy or stupid or worthless, I think otherwise. And I know there are many others who will agree with me when I say that Dessen is a wonderful author. She writes about important subjects that other authors’ do not write about: Teen Pregnancy; Obesity; Abusive Boyfriends; Teen Rape; Not Fitting in; and Acceptance, plus so many more topics. These topics are very common these days and should be addressed and Dessen does a wonderful job with that!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS