Saturday, September 26, 2009

Review: Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen


Ruby knows that the game is up. For the past few months, she's been on her own in the yellow house, managing somehow, knowing that her mother will probably never return. That's how she comes to live with Cora, the sister she hasn't seen in ten years, and Cora's husband Jamie, whose down-to-earth demeanor makes it hard for Ruby to believe he founded the most popular networking Web site around. A luxurious house, fancy private school, a new wardrobe, the promise of college and a future-it's a dream come true. So why is Ruby such a reluctant Cinderella, wary and defensive? And why is Nate, the genial boy next door with some secrets of his own, unable to accept the help that Ruby is just learning to give?

Well I've finally read Lock and Key. I actually read Along for the Ride before I read this one.


I thought this novel was just as brilliant and genuine as Mrs. Sarah Dessen herself. I have to say, after her other 7 excellent novels, I did have a high expectation.Lock and Key met this expectation plus 100% more.
Ruby is probably one of her most real characters and one of the characters to which we can all relate to her.Ruby has beauty and is smart in her own wonderful way. Her thinking, too, is all hers and perfects all on its own. Ruby, Cora and Jamie were some characters that I just wanted to know more and more about throughout the book.I know I did. Nate was such an original character, but I didn't like him as much as I liked her other male characters like Wes or Owen. It was nice though, having something so original in her book, which made this more different then her others. Nate also had the problem (which I won't give away) that Ruby used to have but didn't anymore so she was the one trying to help someone else, in this case, Nate, then someone trying to help her, which I remember, Mrs. Dessen has a lot of that in her other works. This was just another wonderful, original book by Mrs. Dessen.

I loved this book.Lock and Key is close behind to my other favortie of hers, to name one Just Listen. Everyone should read Mrs. Sarah Dessen's book, they are to put it it one word: Amazing. Kudos to you Mrs. Dessne!

1 comment:

  1. My favorite Dessen book is Keeping the Moon. My second favorite is Lock and Key!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS