Saturday, December 12, 2009

Review: The Chronicles of Vladmir Tod: Book One: Eight Grade Bites by Heather Brewer


Summary: Junior high really sucks for thirteen-year-old Vladimir Tod. Bullies harass him, the principal is dogging him, and the girl he likes prefers his best friend. Oh, and Vlad has a secret: his mother was human, but his father was a vampire. With no idea of the extent of his powers, Vlad struggles daily with his blood cravings and his enlarged fangs. When a substitute teacher begins to question him a little too closely, Vlad worries that his cover is about to be blown. But then he faces a much bigger problem: he's being hunted by a vampire killer.



Review: The first time I saw the cover for this book, it looked really good. I mean it's about vampires and the cover had it all: it was dark, cool , creepy, and well, exciting. I read the synopsis and it sounded even better. One interesting thing I noticed about the synopsis was that it said Vlad was already a vampire and that he was not going to learn he was a supernatural being. This was a good thing as most books these days has to do with teens turning into supernatural being. It was good to find something new.

I loved the plot: making Vlad have the challenges of not only growing up into an adult but also becoming a vampire. The plot was a good one with the right amount of everything: a little romance, trouble at school, guardian problems. Basically, Heather Brewer did a good job with bringing out what kind of problems teens have.

I liked the beginning and the middle. But I think the end lost it's touch. To me it was just to fast paced. As the rest of the novel was a good, normal paced, I left that when I got to the end, the novel just raced through it. There weren't many descriptions that actually "showed" me what was happening in the book. That was the only downer to the book.


Grade:Go to fullsize image The ending just brought the whole book down....but not too much!

Cover: A

Overall: I think this is a good book and Vlad is defiantly one character I want to know more about. I recommend this book to all of you Urban Fantasy lovers but if you're just looking for a good book, then you can pick this up too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS