Friday, January 29, 2010

Review: Vampire Kisses: Book 1 by Ellen Schreiber

Summary:
In her small town, dubbed "Dullsville," sixteen-year-old Raven -- a vampire-crazed goth-girl -- is an outcast. But not for long...

The intriguing and rumored-to-be haunted mansion on top of Benson Hill has stood vacant and boarded-up for years. That is, until its mysteriously strange new occupants move in. Who are these creepy people -- especially the handsome, dark, and elusive Alexander Sterling? Or rather, what are they? Could the town prattle actually ring true? Are they vampires? Raven, who secretly covets a vampire kiss, both at the risk of her own mortality and Alexander's loving trust, is dying to uncover the truth.

Ellen Schreiber's spooky and stirring romance tells the story of two outsiders who fall in love in a town where conformity reigns, and ends with a shocking surprise.

Review: When I first saw this book, it was in the 7th grade, two years ago. My friend was reading it and she said she loved it and I would too. But at that time my vampire book (series) was The Twilight Saga. But this year, a friend of mine read it and she said it was way better than The Twilight Saga. So I decided to give it a try. After reading the synopsis, I got the impression that Raven wasn't going to be the normal, or stereotypical vampire love girl. No, Raven Madison is a goth girl living in "Dullsville" where she is considered an outcast. I though it was a refreshing twist to the normal type of vampire stories going around.

Refreshing it was, but it was also somewhat of a let down. Raven is a goth and from her description and all, she's not supposed to be as perky as she is in this book. I would have prefered her to be more hostile or I don't know, quiet? She was just....not what I had expected.

Another thing I'd like to point out is the fact that things fell so right into place. I mean girl meets boy, boy and girl fall in love, they begin to date, it way to common. I would have loved to have had anything more than a romance in this book. Hey, don't get me wrong or anything, I liked the romance aspect of this book, but as a teenager, it just didn't seem to...fit. Maybe Ms. Schreiber should spend more time with teens and try to get a better understanding of how we talk, act and how life really is like for us. I think this first book is way to lovey-dovey for a vampire book. No danger, or anything.

One odd thing, though, is the fact that I liked the relationship of Raven and her bully, Trevor, more refreshing. It felt more...realistic to me. As a teenager, I can totally see a guy making fun of a girl when it's obvious to everyone that the guy likes the girl. I'd hoped some things would happen and they did, but it all just fell apart.

I'm hoping that the other books are better. I feel like this book was targeted more toward middle school readers rather than high school readers. I also think this book was a bit too fast paced and well, very short. I would have loved more involvement of Raven's friends, Trevor and maybe even more Alexander.

Grade: Go to fullsize image I liked it. What more can I say? I hope the other books are better.
Cover: A+, I loved the cover. It was exactly what I had expected to see with a vampire related book.

Overall: Mainly for middle school grade level readers but if you love vampires and want more of them, then read this book (series). It's for you.

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS