Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Chronicles of Vladmir Tod: Book Three:Tenth Grade Bleeds by Heather Brewer

Summary: It’s another sucky year at Bathory High for Vladimir Tod. The evil vampire D’Ablo is hunting for the ritual that could steal Vlad’s powers. His best friend Henry doesn’t want to be his drudge anymore. And as if all that weren’t enough, it’s getting harder for Vlad to resist feeding on the people around him. When months go by with no word from Uncle Otis and D’Ablo shows up demanding Vlad’s father’s journal, Vlad realizes that having a normal high school year is the least of his concerns. Vlad needs to act fast, and even his status as the Pravus won’t save him this time . . .

Review: Maybe it’s just me but I have come to find that every book in the series so far has (1) a sad beginning (2) the beginning chapter is about a bad guy (3) the middle has some conflicts (4) the middle is boring (5) all the resolutions and interesting things are at the end of the book. I wanted something new and different!

Now that I have that out of the way, I can continue with the rest of the book’s review. The beginning is somewhat boring and I almost wanted to put the book away and never look at it again. I usually like to read before bed, to help me fall asleep. Let me tell you, this one was succeeding tremendously! I know that sounds really harsh but it’s true. I don’t feel bad or anything, I’m telling you the truth.

I also think the book/series needs somewhat more romance and action throughout the whole book, not just is the middle and ending. I like a good bit of romance in any book and the romance in this book just didn’t do me any justice. Vlad and Meredith didn’t even kiss for real and in other (most) YA/Urban Fantasy books, there at least one real kiss scene.

I will admit that there were some surprises in the book that I wasn’t ready for but the way they were brought out was just. . .boring! And a lot of the “surprises” were old. It was either that the others books had something similar to one in this book or it was just one of those surprises where you had to go “NO DUH!” And I found a lot of surprises like that in this book.

To me, the more books come out in the series, the more different Vlad is. I think the right word would be “fragile” or in the mean sense “a cry-baby.” I realized that in the other books, Vlad was more independent and a stronger person. In this book, I don’t know how many times I found Vlad “crying” or “sobbing.” Now, I don’t know about you, but I expect the protagonist of a series to be a strong, independent person. Vlad seems to be less of those things as the series progresses!

Grade: Go to fullsize image I liked it.I cannot give it more than that.

Cover: D-, why is it to me that all the books in the series have seemingly the same type of cover? Can’t the artist/creator person come up with something new and refreshing instead of boring and old?

Overall: As always, if you’ve read the first two books, you have to read this one!
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS