Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Review: Dear John by Nicholas Sparks


Summary: An angry rebel, John dropped out of school and enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life--until he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. Their mutual attraction quickly grows into the kind of love that leaves Savannah waiting for John to finish his tour of duty, and John wanting to settle down with the woman who captured his heart. But 9/11 changes everything. John feels it is his duty to re-enlist. And sadly, the long separation finds Savannah falling in love with someone else. "Dear John," the letter read...and with those two words, a heart was broken and two lives were changed forever. Returning home, John must come to grips with the fact that Savannah, now married, is still his true love--and face the hardest decision of his life.

Review: I loved this book but I HATED the ending. Yep, it’s in caps. This is my first Nicolas Sparks book that I’ve read and I’ve come to love his writing. He had a way of pulling off a love story that can and does get complicated. I’ve heard and seen many young women fall in love with soldiers but something bad happens, not always, but the chances are great.

I’m going to make this a very short review only because I don’t want to give too much away. I can’t talk much about this book without giving some things away.In the beginning, John was a character I wasn’t sure I liked too much. He was a troubled guy and his life wasn’t really easy. But I have to admit, after he meets Savannah Lynn Curtis, I loved him. He became such a gentlemen, a total cutie. I have to admit, I love guys like that.

The romance between John and Savannah was great and very believable, but there were some parts in this book where I found myself questioning this. The plot was great and so were the characters. I haven’t really read any books where the voice is a male and not a female and it was a nice, refreshing change. I have to give Mr. Sparks the fact that he can pull of a surprise when you least expect it. The surprise? Something happens to Savannah, I’ll leave it at that, and I never expected it.

One thing though, was the fact that it was obvious to me that Tim liked Savannah as more than a friend, no matter what the two of them said. The way Tim talked about her, it only takes a very, very non-observant person to not realize how much he liked her.
As I’ve said before, I hated the ending. It was terrible, it was horrible, I hated it. I’ve noticed that not a lot of happy endings happen in Mr. Sparks books/movies. Like in “A Walk to Remember”, the girl dies and I thought that was sad. Nonetheless, I’m glad I read this book!

Grade: Go to fullsize image I loved it! I can’t give this book anything less!

Cover: D+ though I see the significance of the horses, the pastures and all, I wish there was more to the cover. A little bit more feeling should have been added. It just seemed too dry.

Overall:
A definite read for all young adult/adult lovers. If you’re at the library look for a good book worth you precious time, this book is the one to pick up and read!
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS