Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Summary: Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Katniss' sister is chosen by lottery, she steps up to go in her place.

Review: There have been a lot of times when I hear a lot about a book about how good it is and my expectations soar. After I read that book, I’m very, very disappointed. With The Hunger Games, my expectations were so high I can’t even say anything. And I’m very glad to say that I was not disappointed. If anything, I was so pleased, I almost went back and re-read the whole book.
Suzanne Collins is amazing. She is truly amazing with the story and word she has created. North America is gone, instead there is Panem. The Capitol is the ruling government of Panem and has divided the “county” into 12 Districts. So now each District sends on boy and one girl to compete in “The Hunger Games.” The main point of this “game?” To be alive or be the victor. Kill or be killed.

I have to admit that at first I was a little hesitant of reading this book because of that fact but only slightly. I began reading this book on Friday night, thinking I would only read it for about half an hour. But Suzanne Collins grabbed my attention from the very first paragraph and I had to read on and know what happened next. It was so good and interesting, I finished it in less than two hours.

I loved the characters. Katniss was such a strong, brave girl though I did NOT like her name. Gale was one character I wanted to know more about but I think we’ll see him in book 2. Peeta (Peeta? Seriously?) was an interesting character. In the beginning I thought he was just an “extra”. During the Games I thought he was a jerk for “betraying” Katniss. In the end, I fell in love with him and I really did feel bad for him.

The plot was very good and the story was well written in general but I did feel that the characters and the plot lost its touch in some places of the book.

Grade:Go to fullsize image I loved it! It's a must read. YOU HAVE TO READ IT!!!!

Cover: A+, I see the significance of the cover and I love it. I especially like the black background with the gold colored “pin” bird thing.

Overall: The Hunger Games is an amazing book and I think if you haven’t read this book yet, I don’t know what stopping you!

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I loved The Hunger Games as well. I'm glad your expectations didn't ruin it for you, that has happened a few times for me. I'm left wondering...did I miss anything?

    Jennifer @ Mrs. Q: Book Addict
    http://web.me.com/quirion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had really high expectations out of this one too, and I was so glad when it lived up to them. There were so many twists and turns which kept me at the edge of my seat. A lovely reading experience!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS