Monday, February 01, 2010

Review: Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott and Take Another Chance Challenge #5

Challenge 5: Title Word Count (worth 1 entry)

Go to Random.org and, using the True Random Number Generator, enter the numbers 1 for the min. and 5 for the max. and then hit generate. Find a book to read that has that number of words in the title. Read the book and write about it.

So I went to Random.org and my number was....3! This was lucky for me because I was in the middle of reading Living Dead Girl, which has 3 letters.


Summary: When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends -- her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over.

Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her.

This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget.

Review: I've heard a lot of things about this book, both good and bad. Now, as a reader and review, I know better than to take someone else's comments on a book in account of if I want to read it or not. So I picked it up and began to read. I read about three pages into the book when I had had enough, and I put the book down. I was shocked. I hadn't read even half of the beginning when I start to learn about Alice and what she has to go through everyday.

Of course the outcome of the story kept me alert all day long. So when I got home from school, I picked up this book and read it all the way through. At every page I turned, I was getting more and more disgusted. I couldn't believe that such a man could do something to a girl. It just didn't seem right, and it was just plain WRONG.

The book begins with us being introduced to Alice and how she had been abducted at the age of 10 by Ray. She was his second victim and the details surrounding this is disturbing. It's disturbing how Ray tells her that he loves her and she belongs to him and that this is how it's supposed to be and that he was keeping her safe. I just wanted to take a knife and.......Ray. You get the point. Even more disturbing is the fact that even though Alice longs to get away from Ray, she stays with him in account for her family's safety: Ray tells Alice that if she tries to run away, he'll hurt her family. She wants to, she want to run away from him. She wants all the pain and suffering to go away. She's tired of everything she's been put through and she knows that she's had enough.

This book has had a great affect on me. There are a lot of key factor's surrounding this: I'm 15 and Alice is 15. . .Even though she is a fictional character and all, these kinds of things do happen. That's another factor, the fact that this actually happens! There are sickos out there that abduct little kids, abuse them and hurt them, if not kill them. It's just out right wrong and it's scary. I never used to give these kinds of topics a lot of mind but now.....I think after reading this book, I've begun to see some things differently.

While reading this book, there were so many times that I wanted to just save Alice. Just pull her out of there. Ray was so menacing and disturbing that I just wanted to make him pay for what he was doing and what he had done. It was a quick and devastating read. One that you will remember, no matter how hard you try to forget.



Grade:Go to fullsize image I loved it! This book deserved all 5 stars. Enough said.



Cover: A+ I think the cover goes perfectly with the book. The dress in the leaves and the foot...it just all fit together.


Overall: A great book. It was quick and devastating, yes, but wonderful at the same time. You will be pulled into Alice's world, feeling what she feeling, thinking what she thinks and wanting what she wants. I do advise that younger reader's be cautious as to reading this book due to the amount of sexual content.
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS