Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Review: Need by Carrie Jones

**SOME SPOILERS**
Summary: Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.

She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.


Review: I know that I’m a pretty lenient grader and I’m going to try and be tougher and I think this is the book where I’ll begin.
I wasn’t sure if I wanted to read this book at first. I’d heard mixed reviews ranging from “I loved it” to “I hate it” and I wasn’t sure if I wanted to spend my free time reading this book. Honestly, I didn’t want to be disappointed. Needless to say, I wasn’t disappointed in this book. To an extent.

One thing I loved about this book was the phobias. I’ve heard so many people talk of the phobias but I think no one’s really talked about how much time and effort the author went into this topic. I’m sure a lot of research was needed for this book, making it not only a good read but a great achievement. The author was able to put all the information in the right places and how she added it into the plot.

Another thing I loved was the fact that a lot of the answers to our questions were in the end of the book. Meaning we would have to read the beginning and middle first. Some authors make the beginning/middle so boring; we could care less about the ending. Not Ms. Jones. She made the beginning/middle very suspenseful and one that kept on my toes.

Where does the book not live up to my expectations? The ending: Near the ending of the book, Zara saves her mother from the faerie king and once he finds out, I got the faintest thought that he actually didn’t care that she was set free! While I read this scene I thought “WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED?” And in the next second (as it seemed to me), the king tries to hurt Zara and once again I say “WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED?” I re-read this scene a few times and tried to figure out what happened but I was just not lucky!

There were also some times when I thought the characters were boring and some dialogue was unnecessary, this contributing to my grade for this book. This book left me with a lot of unanswered questions and I hope they will be answered in Captive, the second book.

Grade: Go to fullsize image I liked it. I don't think I could give it more than this.

Cover: C,
I can see why the gold lipstick color is there and the trees but I just didn't like the cover all that much.

Overall: It was a good book that I liked. Not necessarily a book you MUST read but a good book when you have nothing else.


 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS