Saturday, February 13, 2010

Review: Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Summary: Doomed to -- or blessed with-- eternal life after drinking from a magic spring, the Tuck family wanders about trying to live as inconspicuously and comfortably as they can. When ten-year-old Winnie Foster stumbles on their secret, the Tucks take her home and explain why living forever at one age is less a blessing then it might seem. Complications arise when Winnie is followed by a stranger who wants to market the spring water for a fortune.


Review: I've heard mixed reviews about this "Old timely classic" and I have to say that I am on the negative side.

To me, this book had not plot. It begins in one place and take us to another place with very bad transitions. I found my self scratching my head several time, trying to figure out what in the world was going on in the book. The plot was also very dull and boring. There were several times when I just wanted to go to sleep. Or throw the book in the trash (something I couldn't do since it was from my school library).

The characters had no personality. We don't learn much about them or what they're thinking or their feelings. The characters are just there and nothing else. I found the "love" between Winnie and Jesse kind of disturbing. I wasn't sure what type of "love" it was. Was it brother-sister love or girl-guy-together-forever love? There were hints of Jesse actually wanting to be with Winnie...and Winnie is 10 and Jesse is well over 50 (in actual age, not appearance, think of the Cullens from Twilight, only not beautiful, or vampires, and all).

This was a short book that I read in a long time. Why? Because I kept loosing interest in it. It was boring and dull and just not me!

Grade: Go to fullsize image I hated it. This book did not live up to my expectations!

Cover: D-, I can see the significance the cover has for the book, but like the story, the cover just didn't pull me in.

Overall: This book did not do me any justice. I'm sorry but I can't recommend this to anyone!

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by from The Saturday Network to say hi! I am now a follower.

    http://stacievaughansblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the book! haha. I haven't read it yet but was planning to since I loved the movie starring Alexis Bledel.

    Well, in the movie, Winnie's much older so the "love" between her and Jesse wasn't that creepy.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS