Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Review: Vampire Kisses: Book 3: Vampireville by Ellen Schreiber




SPOILER ALERT!


Summary:For goth-girl Raven, dating her dream boyfriend is complicated, especially because Alexander's secret means that they can see each other only at night.

And now the pair must be extra wary in the dark with Alexander's archrival, Jagger, appearing around town. As if Jagger isn't enough cause for worry, Luna, his strikingly pale sister, has also surfaced and seems to have her sights set on Raven's longtime nemesis, Trevor. Together, Raven and Alexander must begin a terrifying search for Jagger and Luna's hideout to drive them away -- that is, if it's not already too late to save Dullsville from becoming Vampireville.

In the latest installment of her popular Vampire Kisses books, Ellen Schreiber continues the startling story of two teen outsiders -- she from the mortal world and he from the Underworld -- who share a thrilling, extraordinary romance.

Review: I know that my other two reviews for the first and second books said that I wasn't that into this series, that there wasn't much that caught my attention. Well this book has finally caught my attention and I know I will be finishing this series.

The book begins with where the second one left off, and in the last book, we meet Jagger Maxwell. He pretends to be a friend of Alexander's but turns out he's not. He's more of an enemy or a nemesis and Raven know's to stay away from him. So in this book, I was so glad that he was back. I think Jagger puts some flare into the book. His presence adds more danger and adventure to the plot, of course making it more enjoyable.

I jumped up with joy even more when Jagger's sister, Luna Maxwell, enter's the picture. I won't tell you how Luna is part of this story, to find out, read the books. But I will tell you that the fact that Alexander said no to her, well, that didn't make Jagger really happy. Anyways, Luna's now a vampire (now? you ask. What was she before? READ THE FIRST TWO BOOKS TO FIND OUT!) and she think's her true love is none other than Trevor.

The plot of the book finally got better and more interesting. The characters had more potential and well...character. One thing though, was the fact that Ellen Schreiber kept bringing up how "goth" Raven was. We all know she's "goth" and I think Ellen Schreiber should have put more details of what was happening in the story, not necessarily what Raven was wearing or how much of an outcast she was because of how she dressed, etc. I understand that these were some key points in the book, but they didn't necessarily have to be in such long paragraphs. To me, it wouldn't have hurt to put more details of the ending.

I was happy that Raven actually cared about Trevor's life and how she didn't want him to turn into a vampire, much less Luna's one true love. It was rather disappointing to know that Luna and Jagger leave in the end but I was glad too.

As a teenage reader, I had a hard time believing these books were written for teens....Ellen Schreiber's writing style just doesn't seem to fit with the YA or YA Urban Fantasy genre....but other than that, I enjoyed this book very much!

Grade:Go to fullsize image I really liked it. I couldn't say I loved it but I liked it well enough. This book was good enough for me to go and read the next books!

Cover: B- I like the graveyard, the fog and the tombstone...but it just seems so unoriginal! I wanted a little more....I don't know, Ellen Schreiber Vampire Kisses and not Typical Gothic Vampire Lover Girl in Graveyard!

Overall:For middle school readers or vampire lovers. If you want a quick read, this is something to read. I think this book is good enough for even teens to read the series...I have a feeling that the series are going to be getting better!
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS