Monday, March 15, 2010

Author Interview: Kate Cann

Here is the interview with Possessed author Kate Cann!

Kate Cann
Kate Cann is an award winning British auhtor, living in Britain. She is the author of Possessed, Mediterranean Holiday, Diving In, In The Deep End, and numerous other books.
Possessed by Kate Cann (Possessing Rayne in the UK)

Rayne wants a complete break from her old life, from her possessive boyfriend and the claustrophobia of the inner-city estate she lives on. She lands a live-in job in the wildness of the country, at an ancient manor house called Morton’s Keep, where life is exhilarating, but terrifying too. There’s something sinister going on at the Keep – something to do with its history – but no one will talk to her about it. No one except her new group of friends, that is. They’re alluring and seductive …especially the group leader, the elegant St John.

Who can she trust to tell her the truth? She can sense something evil growing – but from where, from who? And how can she keep herself safe from it?

So now let's welcome Kate:

1. When was it that you realized you had to be a writer and nothing else?
I don’t think I did. But I was deliriously happy when my first book found a publisher. I had to buy a dog then, though. I’d promised the kids if I got published we could get a dog because I’d be working from home …she’s called Scully and she’s great and lies on the end of the bed when I write. (I often write in bed.)

2. Where did the inspiration for Possessed come from?
I was interested in the manipulation that goes on among friendship groups. I wondered what would happen if that manipulation had a very evil intent …Plus I was very taken by the ancient fire festivals held in Sussex. They have such resonance still, even in the 21st century.

3. What was the hardest part about writing Possessed? The easiest?
Hardest was doing the research – I spent the night in a haunted bedroom in the manor house that I based Morton’s Keep on. Definitely one of the scariest nights of my life! The easiest – as with all my books - was the end, the final chapters. You’ve worked it all out, it’s come together, and it’s like a glorious toboggan ride to the end!

4. What book are you reading right now? Africa by Richard Dowden. It’s excellent. I’ve just been to Kenya and I’m trying to make sense of that amazing continent Africa.

5. What is your favorite all time young adult novel released any time? Why?
I’m going to say Jane Eyre. She’s a teenager, after all! I think she’s a fabulous role model – honest, courageous, feminist, passionate …

6.While you’re writing a book, what do you do when you get writer’s block (if at all)?
I’m not sure I recognise that term – it sounds a bit serious. I get stodgy, non-creative days though. If I can’t get myself revved up by taking a walk/drinking strong coffee …I take the day off and probably go into the garden to dig and weed.

7. Are any of your characters based off of people you know? Is Rayne’s character supposed to be you?
OH yes. I have lifted people straight from real life and the great thing is they never recognise themselves in my books – I get away with it! But I think characters are a fusion of reality and the writer’s imagination. There’s a bit of me in Rayne – there has to be, or I couldn’t get inside her head – but she’s certainly not me.

8. Favorites’ time!

Candy-
a delicious Scottish confection called tablet. It’s like creamy, crumbly fudge – I adore it.

Food- Italian. Salads. Sea food.

Fictional Character- Claudine by the French writer, Colette. And Jane Eyre of course.

Author (that is not your same genre!) – Doris Lessing

Singer – Oh, loads. But Kate Bush has to be up there!

9. What is one thing no one knows about you? Ummm I have very athletic feet.

10. Is there anything else you’d like to add? Just that I’d like to say thank you for the interview and I hope you enjoy POSSESSED!

THANKS KATE!
Visit her website for more information on Kate and her books!

2 comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS