Friday, March 12, 2010

Review: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl


Summary: There were no surprises in GatlinCounty.

We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlinhas ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

Review: Three words: amazing, epic, exceptional, and all the other adjectives meaning something extraordinary.

I really have no words to describe how much I loved this book and how glad I am that I read it! As said before, I don’t think I could describe the good things in enough words but I think I’ll talk about the few things that irked me (they aren’t huge or anything.)

The one main thing was the fact that I had a hard time getting into the story. There was a lot of history of the town, history of Ethan, and so much more details, that at first I felt didn’t need to be there. But boy was I wrong. I soon understood the meaning of putting all that history in the beginning, when I wasn’t even in the middle of the book! Let’s just say, as you get to the middle and ending, you understand the importance of the history. It made the book easier to understand and it really helps to develop the rest of the story.

That was the only thing that bugged me. Everything else of this book was amazing. The feel and mood of this book was incredibly written and a fun read. The characters, ah the characters. They were so amazing and believable. I loved them all and I had my own personal feelings for each of them, good and bad. They were well developed and fun to read about and I really got a sense of what they would be like if they were real. This is funny because I felt that the characters were coming out of the pages.

One thing that was different about this book rather than other books is the sense of family. In most YA and other books, the family is usually in the background and we rarely, if at all, see them. Not in this book though. Family, I felt, was a big part of the story, not only for the characters, but for us readers as well. I liked this fact that family was included so much into the book. They were put into the right places and a lot of them acted like regular families.
Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl covered every detail phenomenally. Their way of writing and use of dialogue and words, just felt me breathless and wanting more.
I read this book in about 12 hours (in-between school) and I am happy to report that there will be a sequel, one that I am looking forward to!

Grade: Go to fullsize image I love, love, love, loved it! It was so amazing! Enough said.

Cover: A+,
I love the woods and the colors and the font. It gives it a haunting, mysterious feel that goes well with the book!

Overall:
A must read. Go to the book store or your library and GET THIS BOOK! Add it to you personal library. Trust me, you won't regret it!

2 comments:

  1. LOL Love it enough said.. You are right!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love loved it. I devoured it. It was the best book i ever read!!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS