Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Review: Ice by Sarah Beth Durst

Summary: When Cassie was a little girl, her grandmother told her a fairy tale about her mother, who made a deal with the Polar Bear King and was swept away to the ends of the earth. Now that Cassie is older, she knows the story was a nice way of saying her mother had died. Cassie lives with her father at an Arctic research station, is determined to become a scientist, and has no time for make-believe.

Then, on her eighteenth birthday, Cassie comes face-to-face with a polar bear who speaks to her. He tells her that her mother is alive, imprisoned at the ends of the earth. And he can bring her back -- if Cassie will agree to be his bride.

That is the beginning of Cassie's own real-life fairy tale, one that sends her on an unbelievable journey across the brutal Arctic, through the Canadian boreal forest, and on the back of the North Wind to the land east of the sun and west of the moon. Before it is over, the world she knows will be swept away, and everything she holds dear will be taken from her -- until she discovers the true meaning of love and family in the magical realm of Ice.


Review: I’m a sucker for all fairy tales and Ice did not disappoint me. The book began by introducing Cassie, the protagonist, and from the very beginning I could tell that Cassie was a strong, capable young woman. I expected her to be that at the least, having grown up mostly in the Arctic.

The beginning is an attention catcher. Cassie has grown up thinking her mother is dead but it is her grandmother who tells her the truth: the stories she had been telling Cassie were all true.
Now Cassie (as well as the reader) is pulled into the world that is reality. Or not everything is as it seems. Cassie’s mother, she finds out later, was the daughter of the North Wind. She disobeyed him by not marrying the Polar Bear King, instead marrying a human man she loved. This is of course Cassie’s father. The Polar Bear King helps her mother escape after making a bargain with her that the Polar Bear King would marry her daughter, who is Cassie. Cassie is stunned and devastated by the revelation. So after a few scenes and encounters, Cassie agrees to marry the King to save her mother. Now she’s living in an ice castle where she feels no cold.
Now, all that said and done, the book was really, in my opinion, based on the evolution of Bear and Cassie’s relationship and Cassie’s quest to find herself and be who she is. I found Cassie to be a very strong willed woman who would go after what she wanted. Especially when it came to the safety of those she loved.

The writing was wonderful, the characters loveable and believable. The plot was very good and well written but I did have a hard time reading the middle-ending of the book because it was so long, and in my opinion, boring. But I understand some of the reasons those details were put in, but I don’t think I would mind if some things were taken out.

The relationship between Bear and Cassie was an interesting one, seeing how Cassie’s married to a bear who can turn human at night. I have to admit, there were some parts of this book that made me laugh out loud.The sex in this book is very un descriptive and happens once the two have a good relationship. I think it’s a good think Durst wrote this topic the way she did because honestly, I think too much details would mess up the book!

I like the fact that Durst was able to include so many topics into one book and all well written: love, family, commitments, and independentness. There was also that fact of self-realization and trust. I think all these topics were written wonderfully.

Grade: Go to fullsize image .5 I really liked it.. The half point deduction was due to that fact that the middle-ending was too long and boring for me. I lost so much of the focus!

Cover: A+, the cover is amazing. I love the polar bear (looking so cute!) and the color scheme gives you a great feel of the Arctic and it also gives the setting of the book!

Overall: A great read. Something I think many people will enjoy. If you’re looking for a good read, I suggest you pick this book up!

1 comment:

  1. Nice review, I wasn't too sure about this one, but I think you sold me! lol

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS