Monday, March 08, 2010

News in the world of YA

I read this post first at Choco’s In Which A Girl Reads post here and I thought it was really interesting and I wanted to share my opinions on some things.

These are the three publishing deals that she wrote about and I’ll write about them too, since I can say so much for each of them.

1. Allie Condie's MATCHED (7 figure deal, coming out in Nov 2010)

From Publishers Weekly article:

Dutton Kids Nabs Hot Debut
[T]he house compared the book to Brave New World and The Handmaid’s Tale, calling the dystopian work “one of the year’s most talked-about manuscripts.” In the book, a 17-year-old girl, who’s spent her life waiting for a group dubbed “The Society” to tell her who her ideal mate is, has her world upended when she discovers she’s falling in love with someone other than her supposed soul mate."

2. Josephine Angelini's STARCROSSED: (coming out in summer 2011)

From the Publisher's Weekly article:

Harper Teen Pays Seven Figures for Debut YA Trilogy
The first book is called Starcrossed--and said she pitched it as "aPercy Jackson for teenage girls."...

In Starcrossed, which brings Greek tragedy to high school, a shy Nantucket teenager named Helen Hamilton attempts to kill the most attractive boy on the island, Lucas Delos, in front of her entire class. The incident proves more than a bit inconvenient for Helen, who's already concerned that she's going insane--whenever she's sees Lucas (or any of his family members) the image of three crying women appear to her.

The murder attempt does have an upside though, as it ultimately leads to Helen's revelation that she and the local heartthrob are, in fact, playing out some version of a weighty ancient love affair. (Said female apparitions are, in fact, the Three Fates.) So Helen, like her namesake, Helen of Troy isn't going crazy, she's destined to start a Trojan War-like battle by being with Lucas. This then begs the unfortunate question: should she be with the boy she loves even if it means endangering the rest of the world?"


3. Amy Huntington's SLEEPWALKING (coming out in summer 2011)

The Publishers Weekly article describes it as “Twilight...in Paris...with zombies.”

HC Goes Undead in Paris
"[a] new zombie series by debut author Amy Huntington.

The first book, Sleepwalking, follows a 16-year-old who, after losing her parents, is cast off from her Brooklyn life to live with grandparents in Paris. There she meets, and falls for, a French teen named Vincent, who just happens to be a zombie."

And if you're wondering how a zombie could possibly be a love interest:

"a new kind of zombie mythology in which the undead are “re-animated humans”—they look just like us—and don't feast on brains but, instead, carry out special missions."

Yeah, I know.

So it looks like we've got a 1) dystopian love story 2) Greek-based love story and 3) zombie love story that are all going to be released by the end or beginning of the next year.

What do all of these novels have in common? The romance. I really have a hard time thinking of YA books without romances these days; and it looks like that's what's selling.

She’s got that right. Lately, I can’t seem to want to read a YA book that doesn’t have at least a little bit of romance in it! As stated, romance in YA is what’s selling so I don’t really have to worry about it. Though I’ve never been the biggest fan of a zombie love story. That book should be interesting.

Of course, we ask ourselves this question: Do these books even have a chance at selling? Well, I won’t say that they will sell for sure but I think they can get a little help: Matched, the dystopian, reminds me (as Choco stated) of the widely popular The Hunger Games (which are one of my favorites as well). Of course the book based on Greek, Starcrossed, has the success of the Percy Jackson Series and it’s wide success. Who can forget the Zombie love story, Sleepwalking? Must I even say this? It has the success of Twilight.

One thing that bugs me a lot is when articles put the labels “The next big thing,” or “The next Twilight,” or the worst, “The next Harry Potter!” May I be one to ask where in the world do they find enough similarities between Harry Potter and one of the books to come out, to say that the book is going to be the “The next Happy Potter”? Or in any other book actually!

And of course there are the zombies. I guess now we have to say that zombies are going to be love interests. Is it just me or has YA become a big genre Myth Buster? For instance, we take Harry Potter: we always thought witches and wizards are evil and bad but in this series J. K. Rowling brought through a whole new world.

Then of course came The Twilight Saga. I don’t know about you, but every time I heard vampires, I always thought of a blood sucker or even Dracula. Stephenie Meyer, though, made vampires that ultimate love interest for every girl in the whole world.*

So I guess now we’ll have to wait and see how this story turns out. Will the author be able to make readers say “Wow, zombies are hot,” or will they stick to “Ew, zombies are so gross. They eat brains!”?

Truth to be told, I’m really waiting for the Greek myth based book. I’ve always had a interest in the myths but The Percy Jackson series really brought it to a whole new level.
I laughed really hard when I read this:

But what will the next big advance go to? I'm betting on mermen. Their skin scales sparkle in the water! What danger their hunger for blood fish poses! They could carry Bella the main character on their backs and race swim off into the deep green blue meadows waters of the forest sea! And play baseball water polo in truly EPIC proportions!

I took me a while to figure out what she was saying but I figured it out. And who knows? Maybe merman will be the next big thing! I mean I think it’ll be an interesting twist to add merman with YA and UB!

So what do you think will be the next big trend? Are you hoping to read any of these books? Do you think these books should just not be published at all?


*I exaggerated that a bit!
**I have gotten permission from Choco to use this from her blog
***The words in pink are quotes of what Choco posted!

1 comment:

  1. Starcrossed and Matched both sound really good!

    I hate when people compare books to other books by calling it 'the next Twilight' or 'the next Hp'. It's annoying and the author may or may not want his/her book referred to in that way. Another thing that irks me is when people compare literature about POC to literature about white people (although I do it upon occasion to make a point). We should accept and praise authors for their own work and admire its individuality.

    LOL at the mermen. It could indeed be the next thing. or perhaps Greek gods/goddesses will really take off, that's an interesting theme so that would be cool. or perhaps leparchauns will be the 'Next Big Thing'. sexy redheads that get mocked for their height but they have hearts of gold, but they are doomed to forever follow a rainbow with no room for love in their life. Can one girl change all this?

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS