Monday, March 22, 2010

Review: Poison Study (Study #1) by Maria V. Snyder

Summary: Choose: A quick death and hell or slow poison and hell.
About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.
And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.
As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear.


Review: I've heard so much about this series and I finally got a chance to read it! For beginners, this was a great read. The characters were awesome and so well written. They develop throughout the book (obviously Yelena more than anyone) and you get a good sense of whats going on with them. As I can tell, some of the characters who aren't in this book a lot will probably play big rolls in the next book.

As for Yelena, I loved her. She was so fiery and independent that I really wanted to know more about her. One of the things that kept me engaged in this book was how Yelena always talked about how she got to her execution position. The way she talked about it, described it, I had to know what happened. As the protagonist, she learns a great deal about herself just as we do.

The plot was well written and very detailed. There was enough action, romance, danger and other various things to keep me on my toes. It's obvious that Snyder took her time writing this book with all the details she has in it.

One of the things I didn't like a lot was the amount of details. The details were needed to make the story understandable, but a lot of it was access information. Sometimes I found myself skimming the pages, looking for dialogue. Yeah, dialogue. Most of the time, its the dialogue thats too much. But in this book, I would have loved it being less details and more dialogue.

Grade: Go to fullsize image I liked it. There was a lot of unneeded information.

Cover: A+, It goes so well with the rest of the book! I love how the model is wearing read and the background items!

Overall: A great fantasy. I recommend this to those who want a good book but have time to read access information.


 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS