Friday, March 19, 2010

Review: The Summoning (Darkest Powers #1) by Kelley Armstrong


***SPOILER ALERT***

Summary:After years of frequent moves following her mother’s death, Chloe Saunders’s life is finally settling down. She is attending art school, pursuing her dreams of becoming a director, making friends, meeting boys. Her biggest concern is that she’s not developing as fast as her friends are. But when puberty does hit, it brings more than hormone surges. Chloe starts seeing ghosts–everywhere, demanding her attention. After she suffers a breakdown, her devoted aunt Lauren gets her into a highly recommended group home.

At first, Lyle House seems a pretty okay place, except for Chloe’s small problem of fearing she might be facing a lifetime of mental illness. But as she gradually gets to know the other kids at the home–charming Simon and his ominous, unsmiling brother Derek, obnoxious Tori, and Rae, who has a “thing” for fire–Chloe begins to realize that there is something that binds them all together, and it isn’t your usual “problem kid” behaviour. And together they discover that Lyle House is not your usual group home either…



Review: Ok, so the story begins with Chloe, a 15-year-old girl who lives a normal life. Until she begins to see ghosts. Now everyone is so worried about her, she is sent to Lyle House where they hope she can "over come" her "illness." But the more Chloe is at Lyle House, the more she realizes that her house mates are a normal as she is. Which isn't a lot. So begins Chloe's life trying to adjust as a "un-normal" girl. But soon, Chloe notices that everything is not how they seem. There is danger at Lyle House and their are secrets hidden behind every corner. And it's up to Chloe to find them.

Alright, the beginning was fast. I mean one second I'm reading about Chloe and her friends and this guy she wants to ask out and the next second, she's being chased down the hall by a ghost in a janitor's uniform. It took me a while, and a few flips back to figure out what was happening. I don't like books to have a slow beginning but this books beginning was really, really, fast. And confusing. But it was good and it caught my attention.

The characters are not developed and we don't learn a lot from them. And honestly, I'm glad. At first it would have made me mad, but after finishing this book, I realized this is book is probably the introduction book. The less I found out about the characters, the more I wanted to read on and learn about them.

The plot for this book is amazing. It has so much information in it and it takes a while for it all to sink in and make sense. Kelley Armstrong's world is so complicated with supernatural creatures, and rules and the characters having their own story fit in with the plot. I think she did a good job putting it all together.

Can Kelley put in surprises or what? The first time I read about Aunt Lauren, she seemed like such a great aunt. The over protective, this-girl-needs-a-mom-figure-in-her-life type. But who know she was a two faced, B****? I sure didn't and I wanted to kill her at the end of the book. The most sicking part? She was so clam sedating ( or something) her niece! I mean seriously and the way she spoke to Chloe, telling her it was for her own good. *shudders*

Derek turned out to be one of my favorite characters. And a werewolf. Simon was okay, but I liked Derek better. Tori was the absolute b**** and there is always one in almost every book! I didn't see much of Liz but I think she's either 1)dead or 2) a shamen.

I think that's all!

Grade: Go to fullsize image.5 I liked it.

Cover: A-, I like the necklace and how how the girl (model?) is holding it. It shows that the necklace, a ruby (or red), has something to do with the book.

Overall: A good book that I enjoyed. I want to read the other two books so badly! This book can be confusing at first but you understand a lot at the end. If you love paranormal and Urban Fantasy, this is for you!

4 comments:

  1. I wanted to read it but.. I have to wait till I read the book

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this one a long time ago, i haven't even gotten 2 it yet*sad* It's calling me on the shelf lol. Glad u enjoyed it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I have this one but I haven't read it yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Kelley Armstrong work but I have yet to get to the Darkest Powers Series! I read all of the Men and Women of the Otherworld stuff though!

    Great review... I hope I can read this one soon since I have it on my shelf!=)


    Also, I love your Team Both on your sidebar! I am BOTH as well!=)
    I see you are a Twilight fan as well!!! WhOOo hooOO!


    ***Stopping by for Saturday Networking.
    My blog is Lovin' & Livin' Life in the 808.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS