Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

Summary: Everyone knows the unwritten rule: You don't like your best friend's boyfriend.

Sarah has had a crush on Ryan for years. He's easy to talk to, supersmart, and totally gets her. Lately it even seems like he's paying extra attention to her. Everything would be perfect except for two things: Ryan is Brianna's boyfriend, and Brianna is Sarah's best friend.

Sarah forces herself to avoid Ryan and tries to convince herself not to like him. She feels so guilty for wanting him, and the last thing she wants is to hurt her best friend. But when she's thrown together with Ryan one night, something happens. It's wonderful...and awful.

Sarah is torn apart by guilt, but what she feels is nothing short of addiction, and she can't stop herself from wanting more...

Review: Ever since I read Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth, I knew I could expect this book to be good. The Unwritten Rule was a hart-warming, brutally honest and a good read all the way to the end.

I liked this book a lot. Though there were some places I had a hard time following what was happening and places where I got bored and skipped a few pages, I liked this book over all. This topic, the best-friend-likes-her-best-friend's-boyfriend scenario is so true to like. I've seen these things happen to my friends. I felt that Elizabeth did a good job writing about this. The dialogue wasn't too bad and it went well with the book.

Sarah's voice was very brilliant and true. I liked reading about her and her struggles to do the right thing, like not hurt her best friend and want her boyfriend. Her character, her emotions, her actions are just the kind of thing I had expected and hoped to see from Elizabeth.

Brianna. I. HATE. HER. Anyways, I think Elizabeth did a very, very good job with her. She was a girl who didn't want to face the obvious truth, the one who thought everything was about her. She thought she had the perfect boyfriend whom she loved, but she also thought it was okay for her to like make out with, and get a hickey, from a boy who likes her. WHO DOES SHE THINK SHE IS? I could have liked it better if Ryan and Sarah didn't kiss so early in the book but I was glad when they did. I'm glad Brianna broke it off with Ryan, but she didn't think he'd care, and then when she walked in on Ryan and Sarah together, I was so very happy. I think Brianna got what she deserved. I do feel for her about her parents, but I didn't like how she treated Sarah or Ryan.

A short but good read.

Grade: Go to fullsize image I really liked it.

Cover: B, I like how they're kinda touching but in a oh-we're-not-supposed-to-do-this way. I think more could have been done to make it better.

Overall: A good, light read. Pick it up if you want something good and want to finish it fast! But if you want a good book, then please go ahead and read it too!

2 comments:

  1. Great Review!! :) , you've really made me want to read it! I must get this book! :D

    PS. I'm grabbing your button too :)
    My blog button slideshow is at the bottom of my page :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I can't wait to read this book :D

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS