Sunday, March 14, 2010

Review: Wish by Alexandra Bullen

Summary: For broken-hearted Olivia Larsen, nothing can change the fact that her twin sister, Violet, is gone... until a mysterious, beautiful gown arrives on her doorstep. The dress doesn't just look magical; it is magical. It has the power to grant her one wish, and the only thing Olivia wants is her sister back.

With Violet again by her side, both girls get a second chance at life. And as the sisters soon discover, they have two more dresses-and two more wishes left. But magic can't solve everything, and Olivia is forced to confront her ghosts to learn how to laugh, love, and live again.


Wish asks the question: If you could have anything, what would you wish for?


Review: The beginning was interesting. It caught my attention but then after about ten pages, it began to lose its hold on me. At one point, I just didn’t want to read any more about Olivia. She was too needy, winy and just plain annoying!

Now that I’ve said that, let’s continue with the rest of the review. Wish, I must admit does come up with some good questions. What would you wish for if you could wish for anything? It brings us back to the “be careful what you wish for” saying. Bullen writes this book in such a way that we understand the meaning of these words and how they influence Olivia. Not sure what I mean? Let’s see if I can elaborate a bit:
Olivia makes a wish to have her sister back. When her sister comes back, everything looks and sees normal. But as the book progresses, Olivia looses old friends (Miles) and makes new one (Calla, Soren, etc.) but then more problems arise. Eventually she and Calla are no longer friends and Soren and Olivia are history, least to say.

In some ways I felt that Wish was a coming of age story or coming out of your shell book. Olivia was always the quiet twin, living in her lively sister Violet’s shadow, or somewhat. Now without Violet, Olivia is lost.

Though I didn’t like Olivia character all too much, Bullen, in my view, did a good job with the character development. The emotions and feeling and behavior in this book match well with what happens in reality. I’ve never actually seen this in life, but I’ve heard stories about my friends cousins, etc.

The partying and alcohol use in the end made me mad. I just didn’t think it was necessary and it actually made me hate the book and throw it out the window. I mean, she upset and sad but not all teens these days go to the alcohol for the answers. It was too stereotypical for me.
As I said before, Olivia seemed like a total wreck in the beginning of the book, just how I had expected, but she quickly became a wining, needy, annoying character that I just wanted to strangle. Seriously.

Wish was not what I was expecting but it was good. I have to give Bullen credit for writing such a book for her debut. Even though this was not one of my favorite books by a debut author, I think we can look forward to some great books by Alexandra Bullen.

Grade: Go to fullsize image I liked it. You read my review. You get why.

Cover: D+,
with careful consideration I gave this book a D+. It was taking an F but I did like the stars and the reference of stars in the book. I also liked the sad, lost look of the girl who I guess is Olivia. I also liked how her dress is shimmering away. Other wise, the cover is just too plain for me.

Overall:
It was an okay book. If you like emotional, thoughtful, coming of age/coming out of shell kind of books, this is for you.

1 comment:

  1. I wish it lived up to its cover, but I guess it doesn't. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS