Monday, April 12, 2010

Author Interview: Elizabeth Eulberg

I can finally post the interview with Elizabeth Eulberg! Thanks Sheila!


About the Author: Elizabeth Eulberg was born and raised in Wisconsin before heading off to Syracuse University and then making a career in the New York City book biz. She lives outside of Manhattan with her three guitars, two keyboards, and one drumstick. In researching The Lonely Hearts Club, she tried swearing off boys forever. It didn’t work.

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg
Genre: Young Adult
Release Date: Available Now
Publisher: Point


Summary:Ever since a disaster of epic proportions with her boyfriend over the summer, Nate, Penny is determined to never let her heart be broken like that again. To stay true to this unlikely promise she has made to herself, she becomes the only member of her self-formed Lonely Hearts Club, the "rules" of the club being that she will steer clear of boys and dating until she graduates from high school.

Penny is proud of herself for what she's doing, but initially thinks it's something that she's doing on her own. But when other girls hear about the Lonely Hearts Club, they want to join as well! Suddenly, Penny has more members than she can count, and the males at her high school are becoming a little peeved. Nevertheless, Penny is glad about the girl power her club is demonstrating.

However, what happens when Penny starts to fall for a guy at her high school? If she dates him, fellow club members could turn against her, but if she follows the club's rules and rejects him, she'll be breaking both of their hearts... and wasn't the club formed in the first place to keep hearts from being broken?

SO LETS WELCOME ELIZABETH:

1. When was it that you realized you had to be a writer and nothing else?
I’ve always enjoyed writing, but never thought that I would some day be an author (I still have trouble referring to myself as an author!). I was encouraged by an author I worked with, Dav Pilkey, to write several years ago. He really gave me the confidence to give it a try and I haven’t stopped since.

2. What was the hardest part about writing The Lonely Hearts Club? The easiest?
I think the hardest part with The Lonely Hearts Club was finding the time to write. I have a job that keeps me really busy so I would have to wait until I had a free weekend to write. I think the easiest part for me was working in the Beatles into the book. I’m a huge Beatles fan and once I decided that Penny’s parents were Beatles fans, I liked having them reference the Beatles, no matter how obscure!

3. Are any of your characters based off of people you know? Is Penny’s character supposed to be you?
The characters are all from my imagination. There are parts of me in both Penny and Tracy, but I especially wanted Penny to be someone that each reader could identify with.

4. How did the Beatles come to influence The Lonely Hearts Club so much that you named your main character after one of their songs?
The Beatles came with the title The Lonely Hearts Club. When I realized I wanted to write a book about a girl who forms a single girl club, the title came to me right away. I wanted to have some nod to the Beatles in the book and then I decided to name my main character after a Beatles song – Penny Lane.

5. While you’re writing a book, what do you do when you get writer’s block (if at all)?
Whenever I get stuck, I get up from the computer and will either go for a walk or to the gym. I don’t think staring at a computer screen helps. So I try to do something else so I’m not over-thinking any specific plot point and eventually an idea will come.

6. If you could go back in time and only meet ONE of the Beatles, who would you like to meet and why?
Oh, this is hard. Since Paul and Ringo are alive, I’d like to think I still have a chance to meet them. So I am going to say George Harrison. I have a soft spot for George; I think he is a brilliant musician and songwriter who, understandably so, has been overshadowed by Lennon/McCartney. Plus, two of my favorite songs, “Here Comes the Sun” and “Something” were songs he wrote.

7. There are many genres you could have written about. Why did you choose to write YA?
I think I started writing YA because I work in the children’s publishing industry and most of the books I read are YA books. Also, I really think that high school is a really important time in your life. You are trying to figure out who you are and who you want to be. You never forget what it is like to be a teenager—no matter how much you might want to!

8. Can you describe your book in ten words or less? Can you describe yourself in ten words or less?
I’ll try! The Lonely Hearts Club: Penny puts herself and friends before guys. Me: Author. Publicist. Friend. Wannabe rock star.

9. Favorites’ time!

Book-
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Movie- Moulin Rouge

Fictional Character- This is tough! I’ll have to say Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice.

Author- Jane Austen

Actor/Actress- Meryl Streep is amazing in anything and everything!

10. Is there anything else you’d like to add?
Thanks for the interview!

Thanks Elizabeth!
She's really an Austen girl! I like Pride and Prejudice my self. And I've never heard of Moulin Rouge. See, you learn things about authors that you didn't even know!

You can visit Elizabeth:

You can go HERE to read my review of THE LONELY HEARTS CLUB.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Interview! And you must see Moulin Rouge! One of my favorites too!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS