Monday, April 19, 2010

Author Interview: Kimberly Derting

Kimberly Derting

About the Author: Kimberly Derting lives in western Washington with her husband and three children. The Body Finder is her first novel!

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
Genre: Young Adult
Release Date: Available Now
Publisher: HarperCollins

Summary: Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issue: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies-or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world...and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent as a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agree to help Violet find the murderer--and Violet us unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer... and becoming his prey herself.

Please join me in welcoming Kimberly!


1. When was it that you realized you had to be a writer and nothing else?
In high school, I would write these heart-wrenching notes for the attendance office about how sick I was the day before, and then sign my mom’s name (sorry, mom!). That was when I thought that just maybe I could be a fiction writer, or maybe just a really good liar!

2. While you’re writing a book, what do you do when you get writer’s block (if at all)?
For me, writer’s block means that I’m just not “feeling it” at that time of the day. Usually, if I just take a break, I can get back into the flow of things pretty quickly. If that doesn’t work, Skittles will usually do the trick!

3. The Body Finder has a very interesting story line. A girl, a boy, love and a dead body! Come on, where’d you’d you get this idea for a book?
It all came to me in a dream! Just kidding, that didn’t actually happen but wouldn’t that have been cool???

Actually, my husband came up with this random idea about a boy who could find dead bodies. As soon as he said that, I immediately started creating Violet’s creepy ability and of course, changed the main character to a girl. Of course if you ask my husband this question, he will tell you that since it was his idea that makes him my co-author! :)

4. I’ve been hearing such good things about The Body Finder. What is it that you want (and hope) people learn from The Body Finder, if anything?
I’m just hopeful that the readers will connect with the characters and get caught up in their story…although a laugh, a shiver, or a tear here or there wouldn’t hurt either!

5. There are many genres you could have written about. Why did you choose to write YA? Why not write for adults or children?
I think I chose YA mostly because of my kids. Their ages are so spread apart that I’ve had teenagers in my house for what feels like FOREVER, which makes “research” extremely easy! Any time I need some new YA material, I just do a little secret spying on them. (Just don’t tell them that I eavesdrop!)

6. Is Violet supposed to be you? Is she based off of someone you know in real life?
Well, Violet and I can both sense the dead…

Okay, no, that’s just her creepy skill. No, she’s not really based on anyone I know.

7. What was you’re writing process like for The Body Finder? How much research did you have to do, if any?
I actually interviewed two close friends who helped me with all of the technical aspects related to Search & Rescue and the cooperation that occurs between the Police and Fire departments. If there’s anything incorrect in the book, let me know and I’ll give you their home phone numbers so you can complain! :)

8. I’m hearing a lot of talk about a sequel. Can you tell us anything about it?
Desire of the Dead will be released in 2011. We get to see the love story between Jay and Violet develop…and there may or may not be a dead body or two!

9. Favorites’ time!

Book- To Kill a Mockingbird

Movie- The Last of the Mohicans

Fictional Character- I’m kind of diggin’ on Daniel from The Dark Divine right now. I haven’t finished it yet, but I think I have a little crush…

Author- Stephen King

Actor/Actress- George Clooney (for his acting skills, of course!)

10. Is there anything else you’d like to add?
Thanks so much for having me here! Hope you all enjoy the book!!!

Thanks Kimberly! I've never actually hear of her favorite movie. Interesting how she get the idea, though.

You can visit Kimberly:


You can go HERE to read my review of THE BODY FINDER.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh...was #3 a dig at S. Meyer? ;D

    I'll be looking forward to reading the sequel when it comes out and hopefully there's more of Jay who is now a favorite of mine out of male characters in YA novels.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS