Sunday, April 18, 2010

Review: Beastly by Alex Flinn

Summary:I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.


Review: I've heard a lot about this book and I watched the movie trailer before I read this book. The trailer was aprt of why I read it in the first place. It looked so good. And of course its based on a fairy tale so I just had to read it. I'm happy to report that I wasn't dissapointed at all.

Kyle Kingsbury is your typical, popular, spoiled brat. The one guy all the girls love and all the guys hate because all the girls love him. Ans Kendra Hilferty is the goth class mate, like all girls, is in love with Kyle. So as a joke, he "asks" her out to the dance and she accepts. As the readers we know whats going to happen. But what does happen surprised me. I won't say anything else about it.

Linda is your typical nerdy girl, girl-next-door. There isn't much of her in the beginning and I thought I was going to see her often. Guess not. Anyways, I loved her character. First she has a crappy father but is able to go on with her life even though its a really sucky life. Then she's the scholarship kid at a big, hug school full of rich snotty kids but she still hangs in there. Like any other girl though, she's got a crush on the popular guy....aka Kyle.

After the dance and after "the witch" (won't tell you who) casts a spell on Kyle turning him into a beast. He's got two years to make a girl fall in love with who he is, beast and all, and have her tell him she loves him to break the spell. After a while he changes his nameAfter that, I lost a lot of interest in the book. Mainly because I wanted the girl (I just knew who it was going to be) to come and fall in love with Kyle. After reading a lot of it, I realized we had to know more about the Beast to understand the book.

Alex Flinn took an old timely fairy tale and brought it into modern times. He had great characters, the plot line was great and well written. It was a great read!

Grade: Go to fullsize image I really liked it.

Cover: A+, I love the white rose and the symbolism is has to the book. I think having the thorns on the stem makes it looked even better!

Overall: A great read for all of you fairy tale lovers. If you want a quick, good read, check this book out too!

*********
I'm sorry for not posting in a while. I've been writing up some reviews and interviews with authors plus other posts so more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS