Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Review: The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Summary: Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issue: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies-or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world...and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent as a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.


Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agree to help Violet find the murderer--and Violet us unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer... and becoming his prey herself.


Review: At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book or not. A girl who's got powers to find murdered girls? Sounds gruesome, don't you think? But it turned out to be much, much better than I thought it was. I did have high expectations for this book since I've read a lot of great reviews about it. I am happy to say that it lived up to my expectations.

The love story made me want to read on and the suspense kept me alert and engrossed in this book. I began this book at around one o'clock, and in-between having a late lunch, I finished this book at around two.

Violet was an expectational character. She was brave, strong and independent, but she wasn't afraid to cry or admit she needed help. She was also so willing to help find girls who have been murdered. I know for a fact that if I had the power she has, I would not have handled it with such calmness and strength. Violet was a lovable, brilliant character that you'll fall in love with. You'll root for her and cry with her.

This book is a jumble of so many things. It's got danger, a very, very different paranormal twist that I've never seen before, and a love story that captures your attention from the very beginning. It may seem to you that this book would be hard to follow but it wasn't. Why you ask? Because of how well it was written. Kimberly has done a superb job of conveying a confused teenage girl's feelings and thoughts about first love and realizing exactly all she can do with her "powers."

Then there was Jay. Anyone who didn't read the book fully and understand it, would say that Jay was a cliche, the perfect boyfriend, the one type of guy who doesn't exist. But I beg to differ. Jay was not perfect, he was nice, yes, but not perfect. There were plenty of times in this book that I thought he was being a jerk or a dumb ass, but that just made me love him even more. I think the one thing that got to me the most was his caring, loving personality.

Then there were the minor characters, Violet's friends and her family. There were the worried parents, the "perfect" girl, best friends. In the middle of all the mystery, you got all the gossiping, talk of dresses and dates and make-up and he said she said, and guys being guys. It gave you that set off, a chance to laugh at the dialogue or scenes, a chance to move away from the seriousness of this novel. This was also one book where the parents weren't really the enemies or the bad people or part of the problem. They were loving, caring, supportive and always there for their daughter.

With it's wonderful and intense story line, a unforgettable love story, unique and out-of-this-world characters, this book is a brilliant start to a great career for Kimberly Derting. I know that we will see more amazing work from her. One of which is Desires of the Dead, the sequel to The Body Finder. You would never expect there to be a sequel to this book after where its ended but I'm ready for a surprise. And theres bound to be more Violet and Jay, so why not be happy?

Grade: Go to fullsize image I loved it!

Cover: A+, though its simple and plain, its not. The flower and its color add a mysterious look to the cover and the black background sets it apart.

Overall: A dark, luring book that will keep your mind and eyes glued to its pages. You'll want to finish it to see what happens, but then you'll never want the story to end. After reading this book, you'll want more, not just of the characters, but more from the author as well. An exceptional, brilliant debut novel.

2 comments:

  1. That does sound gruesome! But I love the cover and you seemed to really enjoy it so I'm adding it to my wishlist. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want 2 read this one! I've seen sooo many good reviews!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS