Sunday, April 25, 2010

Movie Review: The Last Song

Summary: Seventeen-year-old Veronica 'Ronnie' Miller's life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Tybee Island, Georgia. Three years later, she remains angry and alienated from her parents, especially her father ...until her mother decides it would be in everyone's best interest if she spent the summer on Tybee Island with him. Ronnie's father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church. The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story about love in its myriad forms - first love, the love between parents and children - that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that deeply felt relationships can break our hearts ...and heal them.


Based on the novel of the same name by Nicolas Sparks


Cast: Miley Cyrus as Ronnie Miller
Greg Kinnear as Steve Miller
Bobby Coleman as Jonah Miller
Liam Hemsworth as Will Blakelee
Hallock Beals as Scott
Kelly Preston as Kim
Nick Lashaway as Marcus
Carly Chaikin as Blaze



Click HERE for the rest of the cast.


Movie Review: Yet another movie based off of one of Nicolas Sparks great books. I actually read the book before I saw the movie and I loved the book.

Though the plot line was similar to the other movies, this one was different. For starters, it was much more modern and was actually more with teenage life reality than most people would think. I know girls who are abused by their boyfriend as Blaze is by Marcus. There are girls in this world who hate their father for cheating or such. Sometime during the movie, I felt the plot was as slow as a slug. Sometimes, it was so fast I was lost.

The actors. Liam Hemsworth made his debut with this movie as Will Blakelee, Ronnie's love interest. While watching this movie, I forgot that Liam was a new actor. He looked so professional, as if he's done many movies before this one. He really pulled of the character of Will perfectly. But I also feel he could have done a better job. I won't name certain scenes, but I felt he could have done somethings differently or said something else. But whats done is done. I think we're going to see a lot of Liam Hemsworth in the future, and I sincerely hope his acting becomes better.

Ah, Greg Kinnear as Steve Miller. He was astounding as Steve, the father. With this movie, he was one of the few people who made this movie so memorable and worthwhile. His way of portraying Steve was one of a kind. He could do the funny parts and the sad parts and the in-between without a flaw. He also did a great job with his kids. With Jonah, he was definitely the kind of father a ten year old needed. With Ronnie, he was sweet and kind and yes, protective. But he also told her he loved her in his own way. I was so sad when he got sick.

Miley Cyrus. First of all, the only time I've seen her in a movie was Hannah Montana the Movie. That movie was okay compared to the show, and I'm NOT a big fan of the show. So, the movie wasn't that good either. Now, seeing her in The Last Song, I don't know what to think. Okay, she cannot not cry. Or act in a sad scene. She did a terrible job with that. She was okay with the rebellious Ronnie. When she was being mean to her dad and such. She was great with Liam, though, and I wonder if maybe it's because the two of them had already been dating during the shooting of the movie? Any how, I didn't want to see this movie in the beginning because I felt she couldn't act. But after giving it a shot, I do feel she has grown off of her "Hannah Montana" role. In the future, I think she's going to get much, much better.

Bobby Coleman as Jonah Miller was a perfection. In this whole movie, he was my favorite character. When he laughed, I laughed. When he made a witty comment, I laughed. When he cried, I was sobbing. When I pictured Jonah in my head after reading the book, I didn't really pay much attention to him. But in this movie,man, he caught my attention and every time he wasn't around, I hoped for him return. I love his acting and he is going to be even better in the future. He was able to play the annoying brother, the devastated brother after his father's news, and mostly, a character people will hope for, grieve for, and love. Even after the end of the movie.

Recommendation/Overall: A good family movie. I think everyone should give it a chance before judging it for what they have heard, etc. It'll make you laugh, cry and truly be grateful for what you have.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I just recently bought the book and I cannot wait to watch the movie :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no read it or seen it. I am a bit behind :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww amazing review! I totally agree with you. Miley couldn't really act, which kind of bothered me. Jonah was just the cutest, I think he was one of my favorite characters in the movie :D

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS