Monday, May 31, 2010

Review: The Cinderella Society by Kay Cassidy

Summary:When the Prom Queen becomes your fairy godmother…


Sixteen year old outsider, Jess Parker, gets the chance of a lifetime: an invitation to join a secret society of popular girls dedicated to defeating the mean girls of the world. The Cinderella Society guides all new recruits through its top secret ultimate life makeover. It’s all part of preparing them to face down the Wickeds and win. Determined not to let the Cindys down, Jess dives in with a passion. Finally, a chance to belong and show the world what she’s made of.


… be careful what you wish for.


Jess’s transformation wins her the heart of her dream crush and a shot at uber-popularity. Until the Wickeds–led by Jess’s arch enemy–begin targeting innocent girls in their war against the Cindys, and Jess discovers the real force behind her exclusive society. It’s a high stakes battle of good vs. evil, and the Cindys in power need Jess on special assignment. When the mission threatens to destroy her dream life come true, Jess is forced to choose between living a fairy tale and honoring the Sisterhood… and herself.


What’s a girl to do when the glass slipper fits, but she doesn’t want to wear it anymore?


Review: When I first heard about this book, I thought it was a great read and I was very excited when I won this book. Then I began reading it.


This book was not what I had been expecting. The beginning was, in one word, boring. There were too much unnecessary detail and things I just didn't care about. I read on and on and it continued to get more boring as I went along. I even had a few yawns, which I thought was just sad.


In another sense, this book was just a self help manual in the form of a book. There was a lot of advice for girls on self-image, self esteem, and things alike. With the occasional dialogue, I thought it would get better. But no, even the dialogue talked about standing up for what you believe and finding the look for you.


The plot was an interesting one but I think it could have been handled better. The Cindys and the Wickeds? The Villains and the Charmings? I mean come on, can you come up with any lamer names? Then why don't you go and add in some Greek and you have the plot line for this book. There were a lot of other characters and I sometimes had to go back and see who she was talking about.


The one thing that was actually good was the fact that the "most-popular-girls-in-school" or the Queens were the kind of girls who helped people. They were nice and sweet and good girls. They went out of their way to help the non-populars aka Reggies (again, what's with the names?). But that was that.


Jess was not one of my favorite characters. I can summarize her in one word: annoying. She begins off as the target for Lexy, the leader of the Wicked (I couldn't have guessed that!), and then she is brought into the Cinderella Society. All this by the way happened without me realizing. I was way to confused to understand at first. She didn't grow out of her self. In a lot of books, the character develops but I think she go worse. She began to wine more and more now that she was a Cindy and she had the power to help the Reggies. She wanted to help others and make it better for them seemed all fake to me. I couldn't really make her stick.


Her relationship with Ryan was one I was looking forward to but I was so dissapointed! I couldn't ever figure out why she liked Ryan and her fantasy with him in the beginning was just stupid. Then when he begins to notice her, she freaks out! OMG RYAN NOTICED ME! Um, no I don't think so. We learn some things about Ryan but it never was clear why he acted so stupid and insecure. I have to admit, there were times when I loved Ryan and Jess together and some of the dialogue was great. But that is the hopeless romantic speaking! It was too cliche for even me!


This was a somewhat disappointing read and I can't really recommend it to a lot of people. But I think we all should give it a try though. An interesting way for Kay to kick off her writing career. I am actually looking forward to her future books! And I hear there is going to be a sequel, so I'm hoping it gets better!


Grade: Go to fullsize image I liked it.


Cover: C, I like the shoe and the boxes under it but I think it could have been better suited for the book!


Overall: A book for all those feminists out there. Also, if you feel insecure or have some self esteem problems, read this book.

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this one, so it's too bad you were disappointed. I love the summary so I might still have to give it a try but thank you for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan- I think you should give it a try. Who knows, you might like it!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS