Saturday, June 05, 2010

Review: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Summary:"What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?


Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined."


Review: I have to try very hard not to give away anything whit this review. I have to start by saying that this book has officially become one of my favorites. I loved, loved, loved this book. Kudos to Lauren Oliver for having such an amazing debut novel.

This book begins by introducing Samantha Kingston, a very complex main character and her friends. In the beginning it seems that we will never see her alone, but Sam comes out as herself in the best way possible. From the prologue, to the very last page, Sam's development as not only a character, but a teenage girl and as a human being is moving. There were times when I hated her, even wanted to slap her. Then there were the times when my heart went out to her and I felt so bad for her.

Her relationship with her friends is such a strong one. There were times when I was giggling when they made fun of each other. When they were being the girls they were, making fun of others, I hated them. But I have to admit they were very entertaining.

The one thing that got me was the message behind this book: we never really know how long we have to live. We also don't know how our actions towards others has affected them. We can do something one day and think it was stupid the other, but we don't really know how its affected the other person. Did they think it was funny? Stupid? Horrible? Mean?

Not only did she have the perfect blend of suspense,danger, and mystery, I was so happy when the was romancer in this book. I loved how Kent and Samantha's relationship evolved. I thought it was cute how he liked her ever since she was young! I am astound that this is Lauren's first novel. I am looking forward to what ever book she publishes in the future.

Grade: Go to fullsize image + I loved it!


Cover: A-, I like the model, the eyes, and all but I think it could have been better!


Overall: With a well thought out plot, well developed characters and an amzign way of writing, this book should be read by all YA lovers. Even if you don't like YA, you have to read it! Trust me, you won't be dissapointed!

** You can read my interview with Lauren Oliver HERE.**

1 comment:

  1. Great review! This is one of my favorites too. I was really moved by the story. I wasn't sure if I would like it at first (I am not a fan of mean girl protagonists) but Sam had a lot of depth to her and I loved how she grew over the course of the book.

    Lauren's next book, Delirium, looks like it will be very different but I bet it will be just as good.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS