Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Review: Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken

Summary:Sydelle Mirabil is living proof that, with a single drop of rain, a life can be changed forever. Tucked away in the farthest reaches of the kingdom, her dusty village has suffered under the weight of a strangely persistent drought. That is, of course, until a wizard wanders into town and brings the rain with him.
In return for this gift, Wayland North is offered any reward he desires—and no one is more surprised than Sydelle when, without any explanation, he chooses her. Taken from her home, Sydelle hardly needs encouragement to find reasons to dislike North. He drinks too much and bathes too little, and if that isn’t enough to drive her to madness, North rarely even uses the magic he takes such pride in possessing. Yet, it’s not long before she realizes there’s something strange about the wizard, who is as fiercely protective of her as he is secretive about a curse that turns his limbs a sinister shade of black and leaves him breathless with agony. Unfortunately, there is never a chance for her to seek answers.

Along with the strangely powerful quakes and storms that trace their path across the kingdom, other wizards begin to take an inexplicable interest in her as well, resulting in a series of deadly duels. Against a backdrop of war and uncertainty, Sydelle is faced with the growing awareness that these events aren’t as random as she had believed—that no curse, not even that of Wayland North, is quite as terrible as the one she herself may carry.




Review: After hearing so much about this book, I just had to pick it up. Lucky for me, I won it. And after reading it, I am pleased to say that I am not dissapointed at the least.


This book had everything. From adventure to magic to romance to danger to mystery and everything else in between. There was a lot I loved about this book and little I didn't like. As a debut author, I was very pleased at how well Ms. Bracken can write. The writing in this book played a key part in how well it turned out. She's got a great way to get you hooked and keep you there instead of bore you to death. She put in a lot of descriptions but it helped me understand this book! Honestly, I found my self in the story, in Cliffton and Provincia with Sydelle and North.


Though the plot line was very well written and carried out with great care, I had some trouble with the flow of the book. There were times when I felt the story would slow down to the speed of a snail and then speed up to the seed of a cheetah. With a story like this a more fast moving book would have done it a lot more justice. With that came the characters. When I first met Sydelle and North, I didn't know them very well. But I had hoped to know them as the story progressed. Though I got what I wanted, I felt it all came to slowly. I couldn't really connect with Sydelle or North as I wanted to. But they were great characters non the less.


I think I'm right when I say that 2010 has had some amazing authors make their debut. I am happy to say that Alexandra Bracken has become one of my favorite debut authors.


Grade: Go to fullsize image I really liked it.


Cover: A+, I love the colors, and the girl (whom I believe is Sydelle) look so great. The designs and the patterns really make the book stand out!


Overall: Brightly Woven is debut book I recommend to anyone who loves an all-around good book. With stunning writing, amazing characters, an engaging plot, Alexandra Bracken has caught my attention and I have a feeling she will keep it in the future!

2 comments:

  1. Good review, glad to hear you liked the book, this has been one of my favorites this year and I'm hoping with all my fingers crossed that there will be a sequel in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book had a lot of great elements that were for the most part made it a great read...I'm not sure about the flow but I enjoyed it to much to take into consideration.

    I really do hope there's a sequel too, I even check now and then for updates for any up coming books by this author.

    I got a get a review up for this in my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS