Monday, June 28, 2010

Review: For Keeps by Natasha Friend

Summary: For sixteen years, Josie Gardner and her mom, Kate, have been a team. It’s been the Gardner Girls against the world, and that’s how Josie likes it. Until one day, in the pet food aisle of Shop-Co, they run into the parents of Paul Tucci, Kate’s high school boyfriend—the father Josie has never met. If Mr. and Mrs. Tucci are back in town, it’s only a matter of time until Paul shows up. Suddenly Josie’s mature, capable mother regresses to the heartbroken teenager she was when Paul moved away. Meanwhile, Josie’s on the verge of having her first real boyfriend, while her free-loving best friend, Liv, begins yet another no-strings-attached fling. When Josie learns some surprising truths about Paul Tucci, she finds herself questioning what she’s always believed about her parents—and about herself. In FOR KEEPS, Natasha Friend tells a fresh, funny, smart story about what happens when a girl gets the guy she always wanted and the dad she never knew she needed.

Review: After reading about 10 reviews for this book, I finally decided to give it a try. The synopsis sounded familiar, like it was already done, so I was hesitant. But I'll say that this book surprised me: it was really good. Friend was able to capture my attention from the first page and I finished this book in a little over an hour.

Josie was a great protagonist. She was like the typical teenage girl, with a best friend and in need of some love. But she has her mother, a mother she is very, very close with. Basically, she's got everything a 16 year old wants. But as any teenage girl, what's she to do when she realizes that the father she never knew, might be back in town-- and in her life? All the things Josie once knew seem to get flushed down the toilet.

I was very happy when it was apparent that getting the guy wasn't the focus of the story, but rather trying to figure out if everything you'd know your whole life was all a big fat...lie. I also loved the relationship Kate and Josie had. It so reminded me of Rory and Lorelai from Gilmore Girls, a show I absolutely loved. But like all relationships, I loved how Friend wrote about the rough times in this relationship. Showing that though things are great, they don't always stay that way.

On other thing I loved was Liv. I liked how she loved who she was and wasn't afraid of what people thought of her. Though I thought she was very careless in some parts of the book, she brought a freshness to the story line. She was just what a true friend aught to be, always there for you no matter what.

There is so much going on in this book, but Friend writes it in a way that it's not over done or unrealistic. Friend has written a great book that will keep readers glued to this book until the very end.

Grade: Go to fullsize image I really liked it.


Cover: B-, Not the biggest fan but I do like the blur in the middle with the girl and the boy. I especially like the Arizona stamp at the top.

Overall: Natasha Friend has written a great book that had family, friendship, romance,drama and so much more. Pick it up next time you go to the library or buy it!

1 comment:

  1. I have this book. It sounds really good. Glad you enjoyed it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS