Monday, June 14, 2010

Review: Little Miss Red by Robin Palmer

Summary:Sophie Greene gets good grades, does the right thing, and has a boyfriend that her parents -- and her younger brother --just love. (Too bad she doesn’t love him.)

Sophie dreams of being more like Devon Deveraux, star of her favorite romance novels, but, in reality, Sophie isn't even daring enough to change her nail polish.

All of that changes when Sophie goes to Florida to visit her grandma Roz, and she finds herself seated next to a wolfishly goodlooking guy on the plane. The two hit it off, and before she knows it, Sophie's living on the edge. But is the drama all it's cracked up to be?

Review: As many of you know, I don't like giving negative reviews, but I will be honest. So, that aside, I'm going to review this book.

I didn't like it as much as I had hoped. Till today, I had heard high praise for Robin Palmer and her books. Little Miss Red is her most recent release and I am very, very sorry that this had to be the first book I read by this author. Why am I so sad? Because this book was not my cup of tea. I am highly dissapointed. Not only did this book take me forever to read, I just thought it was well...dumb.

First and foremost, I could relate to Sophie and her problem's but I couldn't connect with her. I couldn't say, "Oh man! I would feel the same exact way!" Or "I feel like I'm with Sophie in Florida." It was me sitting on my bed, reading a book, and not liking it. Sophie wasn't the best protagonist. She winded a lot and was really, really annoying. Her obsession with Devon Devoreaux was over the top and I wanted to kill her. Most of the time, Sophie would say "This is just like the time when Devon was in this book (give title of book) and then this happened." Then there was her iPhone. Might I point out that I am a 15 year old girl and Sophie is the only girl I've seen or heard of who is this obsessed with it. Sure we girls love to text and stuff, but we also know how to turn our cell phones off. What was with her subscribing to all the stores in the world? Honestly, I wasn't interested in knowing that Claire's was having a sale!

Then there were the boys: Jack and Michael. Jack was in short, a jackass. He made Sophie (who he called Red because of her red cowboy hat, which was really stupid) pay for everything and he turned out to be exactly what Sophie (and me) didn't want. Michael was annoying at first with his "sups" and "yos" but near the end, when we finally see him again, he grew on me. And Sophie's Grandma wasn't what I was expecting. I have to admit that I thought she was...a hussy.

I have to saw that Robin Palmer can write, even if I didn't like the book all the more. She had a nice, unique writing style that I found was refreshing. The plot was eh, but then again, it wasn't the worst in the world.

Grade: Go to fullsize image .5 It was okay.

Cover: C, It's okay. I'm not sure what the girl is supposed to symbolize. In the book, the red cow boy hat was what gave her the name Red, not a scarf.

Overall: I'm not too sure about this one. I think you should check it out and give it a try.

4 comments:

  1. Doesn't sound like my kind of book anyway. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to hear it didn't do it for you! I won't be starting on this one for this author. Thanks for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the honest review...I don't really like this author, so I can agree with some of the things you said about the book. Even though you didn't like it, I really like the fact that you backed up your opinion with analyses of different aspects of the the book! Great job!

    Here from CEP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least you were honest. I won this a while back and hadn't gotten around to reading it yet. After your review I think I'm glad I won it instead of bought it.
    :)
    (stopped by from YA Addict's Comment Exchange)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS