Saturday, June 05, 2010

Review: Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard

Summary:Fifteen-year-old Callie buys a pair of real Prada pumps to impress the cool crowd on a school trip to London. Goodbye, Callie the clumsy geek-girl, hello popularity! But before she knows what’s hit her, Callie wobbles, trips, conks her head… and wakes up in the year 1815!

She stumbles about until she meets the kind-hearted Emily, who takes Callie in, mistaking her for a long-lost friend. Sparks soon fly between Callie and Emily’s cousin, Alex, the maddeningly handsome—though totally arrogant—Duke of Harksbury. Too bad he seems to have something sinister up his ruffled sleeve…

From face-planting off velvet piano benches and hiding behind claw-foot couches to streaking through the estate halls wearing nothing but an itchy blanket, Callie’s curiosity about Alex creates all kinds of trouble.

But the grandfather clock is ticking on her 19th Century shenanigans. Can Callie save Emily from a dire engagement, win a kiss from Alex, and prove to herself that she’s more than just a loud-mouth klutz before her time there is up?

Review: I love fashion and I love historical fiction. And more so, I love Pride and Prejudice by Jane so it was a great mix. I loved this book from the beginning. Callie's life in the 21st Century wasn't one of the best. I got to know her pretty well before she came into 1800s and I liked that a lot. It was nice to see her grow as a character.

I loved the characters in the 1800s as well. Emily was such a cute, bubbly girl and she reminded me of one of the younger Bennet girls, Lydia. Alex was sweet but arrogant, as the description said. It was perfect though because he made a great Darcy. As the story progressed, I got to know more about Callie, Emily, and even Alex. Callie's encounters with the dowager Victoria were just hilarious!

Hubbard was also able to put in a lot of funny in the book. I laughed and laughed as I read one. Emily's in take on Alex and Callie's dislike of each other and forcing them together was very funny and cute all at the same time. But Hubbard was also able to put in some serioues things as well. The Alex and his daughter thing was shocking and I was relieved at the outcome. And then Emily's arranged marriage to a man 30 (I'm not exactly sure) her elder was so Regency England.


Grade: Go to fullsize image.5 I liked it.


Cover: A+, It's so cute! I love the shoes and the font of the title. I also love the tea cup (for the Regency England, I'm presuming) hanging from the C!


Overall: I think a lot of young girl YA will love this book. But if you're looking for a cute, quick read for a hot and lazy summer day, pick this up! You won't be dissapointed!

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading this on and off, it's a really cute tale but it doesn't hold my attention for as long as I hope it would!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS