Sunday, June 27, 2010

Review: Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Summary: “Dead girl walking,” the boys say in the halls.
“Tell us your secret,” the girls whisper, one toilet to another.
I am that girl.
I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through.
I am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame.

Lia and Cassie are best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies, competitors in a deadly contest to see who can be the skinniest. But what comes after size zero and size double-zero? When Cassie succumbs to the demons within, Lia feels she is being haunted by her friend’s restless spirit.

In her most emotionally wrenching, lyrically written book since the multiple-award-winning Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson explores Lia’s descent into the powerful vortex of anorexia, and her painful path toward recovery.

Review: My friend told me that this was a really good book but I was hesitant to reading it. So now I've read it, and I am so glad I did. This book was amazing! It's the first book my Anderson that I've read and it lives up to all the hype.

Anorexia is so common these days and I've seen friends and classmates fight anorexia, bulimia and cutting, though none have lost their lives. It's a really touchy topic and controversial as well, but I think Anderson did an exceptional job at depicting exactly how hard life can be . From reading this, it was obvious Anderson didn't make it all up. I'm sure she got a lot of insight to life with anorexia and there was apparent research behind it.

The plot was great. Steadily moving along, never letting the reader want to close the book. It went into depth of the physical and emotional feelings and states of the problem. The main character, Lia, is very well developed and well written. She also has a lot of problems and she went through some severe things, but also some not so severe problems, like social life.

Grade: Go to fullsize image I loved it!

Cover: A+, I love the girl and how's she hidden from the rest of the (ice?) and the look in her eyes : desperation, fear, hurt. It's all so...eerie yet it fits so well!

Overall: A great read. Full of emotional and physical challenges and issues, this book explores the life of a girl with something that is (sadly) very common these day. A must read!

1 comment:

  1. This IS a really amazing book and I completely agree with your review! Glad you loved it :).

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS