Saturday, August 21, 2010

Review: Mistwood by Leah Cypress

Summary:Everyone tells Isabel that she is the Shifter - the ancient shape-shifting creature who has protected the kings of Samorna for centuries. They need her to be the Shifter. Prince Rokan risked everything when he rode into the Mistwood to summon her to his side; Ven, the magician's apprentice, has devoted his life to studying her legend; and even Princess Clarisse, who fears and hates her, depends on Isabel's powers to further her own plans.

But Isabel doesn't feel like the Shifter. She feels like a lonely human girl, beset by flashes of memory that do more to confuse than to help her. If she is the Shifter, why can't she change her shape? Why doesn't she remember what made her flee the castle so many years ago? As she is drawn deeper into a web of magic and assassination, Isabel will have no choice but to look for answers. But her search will lead her to the one question the Shifter hasn't faced in a thousand years: where does she come from, and what does she really want?

Review: The one different thing about this book was the fact that in this book, the male is the one who needed to be protect, not vice versa. And what's more, it's a girl who's protecting him! This was a great debut book and I enjoyed reading it immensely!

Isabel is a shifter. She changes her form to what ever will help her protect the king, in this case Prince Rokan. From the beginning we can tell that something, or someone, is threating the Prince and that is where Isabel steps in. She's a protector yet she is unable to shift! But she will fight if she must! And boy does she do that! She went from being cold to sweet and caring to just...different. We could read her struggle to not be able to shift and have to protect the Prince.

Even though this book is written in third person, we learn a lot about Isabel and for me, I connected with her the most. She was a great heroine, and I loved reading about her.
But I did have my problems: 1. I got confused so many times in this book! I mean first she's talking to the Prince and then his sister and then a magician! I was like "what just happened?". And 2. I wanted more romance. There were many hints of romance in the text but there wasn't much actual romance there. Some books are good with the romance in the background, they just work better that way. With this book, though, I would have loved for it to get out of the background and take stage!
Grade: 3.png Three Stars image by Adaleelee .5 I liked it.


Cover: D, Not a fan of this cover. I love the castle and the woods and the mist but the girl...her eyes...are just plain creepy! I like books that are good and have great covers, with this one, I didn't want to look at the cover!


Overall: A great debut novel! Check it out if you want something quick and good to read!

1 comment:

  1. I liked this one. I agree, it was confusing at times. I think I'd like to reread it sometime now that I know what happens. I agree about the romance. I like it when the romance is in the background, but I want it to be a little more developed and have more of a presence than it did in this book.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS