Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Author Interview: Lisa Schroeder

I know I haven’t updated in forever and I am truly sorry for that! But to make up for it, I’ve got TWO author interviews for you all today! Second up,
LISA SCHROEDER!

Lisa Schroeder is a native Oregonian, which means her childhood summers were spent camping, fishing, reading books (of course!), and playing in the sun, when it finally came out. These days, Lisa spends her summers, and every other part of the year, sharing all the wonderful things Oregon has to offer with her husband and two sons. She is the author of three verse novels for young adults published by Simon Pulse - I Heart You, You Haunt Me, an ALA 2009 Quick Pick for Reluctant Readers, Far From You, a Texas TAYSHAS selection, and Chasing Brooklyn. She is also the author of It's Raining Cupcakes, a middle-grade novel published by Aladdin.

Read my review of Chasing Brooklyn HERE.
Restless souls and empty hearts.


Brooklyn can't sleep. Her boyfriend, Lucca, died only a year ago, and now her friend Gabe has just died of an overdose. Every time she closes her eyes, Gabe's ghost is there waiting for her. She has no idea what he wants or why it isn't Lucca visiting her dreams.


Nico can't stop. He's always running, trying to escape the pain of losing his brother, Lucca. But when Lucca's ghost begins leaving messages, telling Nico to help Brooklyn, emotions come crashing to the surface.


As the nightmares escalate and the messages become relentless, Nico reaches out to Brooklyn. But neither of them can admit that they're being haunted. Until they learn to let each other in, not one soul will be able to rest.

Hi Lisa! Welcome to Reading The Best of The Best!

1. When was it that you realized you had to be a writer and nothing else?
I think after I sold my first novel, I was hooked. I wanted to do it again and again and again. And I started dreaming of quitting my job and being able to stay at home and write full-time. It’s really hard to do for most writers, and I continued to work for a few years, saving money and writing every spare minute. Finally, with four novels sold and a couple of more in the works, I was able to quit my day job last January to write full-time. I don’t know if it will last forever, so I’m enjoying every moment while I can.

2. What was the hardest part about writing Chasing Brooklyn? The easiest?
Wow. There were lots of hard parts, LOL. I worked really hard on this book! I think the hardest part was probably the alternating points of view. I really wanted readers to see the story from both Brooklyn’s and Nico’s perspective, but I didn’t realize writing a book like that means you are sort of writing two books at one time. Each character has to have his/her own story arc, so it’s not easy.
The easiest part… hmm. Probably the ghostly scenes and the way each person is haunted.

3. Are any of your characters based off of people you know?
Not really, although sometimes I pick up traits people have and use them in books. Like I used to have this friend who enjoyed taking pictures of flowers. I used that as something Brooklyn enjoys doing, but took it one step further and had her using the photographs to inspire her artwork.

4. Why do you write your books in verse?
Not all books will work in verse, but when it seems like it could work, I use it because of the atmosphere the verse creates. It gives the story a framework I couldn’t get with regular prose. I also like it because it allows me to get at the emotional core of the story. It sort of strips everything else away, and what you get are the real, raw emotions.

5. While you’re writing a book, what do you do when you get writer’s block (if at all)?
For me, I’m blocked when I don’t know what needs to happen next, or I’ve taken a wrong turn and landed somewhere I don’t want to be. I’ve learned it’s really important for me to know where I’m going. I may not do a detailed outline, but I have to write notes or break a book down to have a path I’m following. Otherwise, I will get stuck and there’s nothing more frustrating than wanting to write and finish the book and sitting down with no words coming out.


6. There are many genres you could have written about. Why did you choose to write YA?
There is something really wonderful about the teen years. As hard as they are, as scary as they are, as miserable as they are (at times), it’s such an exciting time. So many firsts – first crushes, first dates, first kisses, first adventures without parents around, first driver’s license, and on and on.
In my heart, I still feel sixteen at times, so writing for teens just feels really natural to me.


7. Can you describe your book in ten words or less? Can you describe yourself in ten words or less?
CHASING BROOKLYN is about love, loss, healing and hope. Lisa Schroeder is filled with love, hope, curiosity, and happiness.


8. Is there something you’re working on at the moment? Can you tell us anything about it?
I just turned in the revisions to my next YA novel called THE DAY BEFORE. It comes out in June, 2011, and is about a girl and a boy who meet at the beach and spend the next twenty four hours together, before they each have to face their fears and do something they don’t want to do.

9. Favorites’ time!


Book You Read in High School- WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS

Movie- WAITRESS

Fictional Character- Amber in SORTA LIKE A ROCK STAR

YA Author- John Green

Actor/Actress- Jude Law

10. Is there anything else you’d like to add?
One thing – I wrote CHASING BROOKLYN as a gift for the fans of I HEART YOU, YOU HAUNT ME. A lot of people have read that book and loved it, and so I tried to take the themes and write a different book people would enjoy. Ava from I HEART YOU makes a short but sweet appearance in CHASING BROOKLYN.

Thanks for having me here!!

**I loved Where the Red Fern Grows. I cried so hard!**

Visit Lisa:

1 comment:

  1. Brooke's Box of Books has awarded you the 'One Lovely Blog' Award! Details here: http://brookesboxofbooks.blogspot.com/2010/09/we-got-another-award-one-lovely-blog.html

    Congrats!

    ~Brooke

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS