Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Emerald Talisman Blog Tour featuring Brenda Pandos!



I am very excited to anounce that I am participating in the blog tour to promote The Emerald Talisman by Brenda Pandos, her debut release!


Here's the summary if you don't know about this book!

"To be normal, sixteen-year-old Julia Parker would shed her empathic gift in a second. Life has been difficult since her mother's mysterious disappearance ten years earlier - an event she witnessed, but can't remember. Julia's situation becomes more complicated after a near death experience from a blood thirsty stalker. As high school students go missing it is clear there is a connection to her own experience--past and present. Someone has to stop the madness and a chance encounter with a creepy psychic foretells that only Julia is the key to stopping the madness, but it may require the life of the one she loves."

I have an interview with Brenda! 
SO WELCOME BRENDA!

1. When was it that you realized you had to be a writer and nothing else?
Well, I’m still other things, so I’m not sure if ‘nothing else’ can apply yet. I started writing summer of 2008 after my second son was born. I’ve been writing ever since and LOVE it. I’m a geek with a web design business as well and I’m a mom.


2. What was the hardest part about writing The Emerald Talisman? The easiest?
Punctuation. I’m so challenged in that area, but luckily, that can be fixed. Finding new and creative ways to say the same thing is challenging as well and showing the reader instead of telling the reader. (example – her cheeks bloomed bright crimson vs. she got super embarrassed).


3. Where did you get the inspiration for this book?
My inspiration came from me making lemonade out of my lemons actually. When we learned of our son’s autism spectrum disorder summer of 2008, life came crashing down around us. Then two months later, I gave birth to his little brother. A new baby, and 8 hours a day of tutoring for my 3 year old was a lot to undergo. I needed something fun to do and think about that I could do at home in my spare ‘thinking’ time. You have a lot of thinking time with an infant – at all hours of the day and night.


4. While you’re writing a book, what do you do when you get writer’s block (if at all)?
Stop. Read something else. Reread what I’ve written. Bounce ideas off hubby. Bounce ideas off my editor. Drive (I get the greatest ideas in the car). Watch a movie or listen to new music. Something comes to me eventually.


5. There are many genres you could have written about. Why did you choose to write YA?
Adult just sounds too ‘adult’. I’m a kid at heart and not smart enough to write about adult issues anyway. YA is an avenue for me to rework all the imaginary things I wanted to be real when I was young. (Though I’m not too keen on vampires being real now... scaryyyy). Love, loss, adventure, teenage angst mixed in with fantasy – perfect recipe for my creative juices.


6. Can you describe your book in ten words or less? Can you describe yourself in ten words or less?
Book: A fast paced rollercoaster paranormal romance with a unexpected twist.
Me: Mother of two, writer, designer, wife with never enough time.


7. What has been your favorite summer read? Would you recommend it?
I’m currently reading Knight Angels by Abra Ebner and Shadow of the Sun by Laura Kreitzer, both fabulous! If you haven’t read them yet, you have to! Love, angst, danger, death and angels... perfect for a sunny day at the beach. And they are super sweet authors you have to befriend on twitter.


8. Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?
Stick with it. Surround yourself with encouraging readers and qualified people who can help you grow in your writing. Read books on writing. Take classes on writing. Open yourself up for constructive criticism (not just people who say “it’s great” so they don’t hurt your feelings). Join a writers group. Read bio’s of authors you aspire to be. Never quit!

9. Favorite's time!


Book You Read in High School - I’m sorry to say, I can’t remember because mostly I was TOO boy crazy to read.

Movie- Ferris Buellar’s Day Off.

Fictional Character- I really adore Roman in Chataine’s Guardian by Robin Hardy. (He’s the guardian)

YA Author- JK Rowling –That girl is brilliant. I love the HP series.

Snack- Wheat Thins with melted cheese on top was my favorite in high school.... yum

10. Is there anything else you’d like to add?
I just like to let everyone know that the sequel, The Sapphire Talisman, comes out in December 2010! I’m super excited about it.

2 comments:

  1. Great interview! I can't believe the tour ended, it went so fast! Thank you so much for taking part in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the interview! I really enjoyed the questions. And I love your mockingjay cover! Don't forget to enter my cover remake with Eleni!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS