Sunday, October 31, 2010

Review: I Now Pronounce You Someone Else by Erin McCahan

Title: I Now Pronounce You Someone Else
Author: Erin McCahan
Release Date: June 1, 2010
Publisher: Author A. Levine Books
Eighteen-year-old Bronwen Oliver has a secret: She's really Phoebe, the lost daughter of the loving Lilywhite family. That's the only way to explain her image-obsessed mother; a kind but distant stepfather; and a brother with a small personality complex. Bronwen knows she must have been switched at birth, and she can't wait to get away from her "family" for good.Bronwen has always wanted too. She falls head over heels in love, and when he proposes marriage, she joyfully accepts. But is Jared truly what she needs? And if he's not, she has to ask: What would Phoebe Lilywhite do?

Review: When I first read what this book was about, I got really excited. It sounded so good and I began to have high expectations. When I was asked by the publisher to review this book, I said yes without hesitation. Once I got the book in my hands though, I began to worry. What if it wasn’t as good as I had thought? What if it was a big, huge disappointment? I opened this book and began reading the first page…by the next day, I had finished reading this book.

Bronwen isn’t really Bronwen Oliver. Instead, she’s really Phoebe Lilywhite, daughter of Percival and Kitty Lilywhite…or at least Bronwen likes to think she is. Bronwen likes to live in her fantasy where she is switched at birth. She just wants to be with her “real” parents. After all, her brown hair is so much different from her mother’s. So when she meets Jared, she’s happy to learn that with Jared comes a great, loving family, just like the one she wanted. She can’t get enough of the Sondervans and their conversations and their acceptance of Bronwen. Soon, Bronwen finds herself somewhere she never imagined being in the near future: engaged!

Erin McCahan’s I Now Pronounce You Someone Else was a great read. I loved the dialogue and the short scenes that would have seemed choppy if they hadn’t been so well written. There wasn’t a place in this book where I was confused. I loved reading about how Bronwen really was Phoebe Lilywhite because of all of her humorous examples! The characters were great and I loved them all, especially Bronwen. I LOVED how she was such a strong girl but she had her moments, when she was sad and scared and needing help. I liked reading about the relationship with her mother and her step father and everyone else and the death of her father. For some reason, I found Bronwen’s murky relationship with her step-father…interesting and sweet. At first I couldn’t figure out why she acted that way to him, but once everything came out, I felt SO bad for Bronwen. I hated her mother when the truth was revealed and I loved how her step father handled the situation.

My one big iffy moment with this book was the fast moving relationship between Bronwen and Jared. I mean, a senior collage guy was ready to commit to a senior in high school? It just moved too fast for my taste. But that’s about it.

I loved the ending because it left the door open for many possibilities, though I was glad about the decision Bronwen made. It just showed me that she really was a strong willed girl who knew what she wanted, though it took her a while to get there. I Now Pronounce You Someone Else was a great read and I’m in love with it! Erin McCahan’s debut is a must read. It’s fresh, quirky, charming and has a great heroine!

Cover: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Overall: 5.png Five Stars image by AdaleeleeA great, quick, enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS