Sunday, October 31, 2010

Review: Fallen (Fallen #1) by Lauren Kate

Title: Fallen
Author: Lauren Kate
Release Date: November 19, 2010
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.



Review: You know how there are those books that everyone reads and loves or hates? I mean, a book that gets so much hype that people just have to read it. This is how it was with this book…but kinda different. At first, I heard only the good stuff and then the bad. So I waited this long (on purpose, since book 2 in coming out) to read Fallen by Lauren Kate.

First and foremost, I’ll warn you. I did not like this book so this will be kinda of a negative review. Okay, you’re warned, now to begin: I began this book about one week and a half ago. I wasn’t sure what it was, but the beginning did not pull me in. By about the fiftieth page, wasn't sure how I felt. But I continued to read it as it began to get interesting. The thing was, I think Kate was trying to build a setting so the reader wasn’t confused. I did want to know what the shadows were about and what had happened that night with Trevor. I also wanted to know about a particular boy…but other than that, the beginning was slow.

As the story continued, I was not as impressed as I should have been. Kate is an exceptional author, I can say that. She has her own way of writing and her characters are all her own...but they just didn’t work too well with me. Lucinda Price, Luce, is the protagonist of this story. I felt that she developed well in this book, if very slowly. There were times when I felt that Luce was getting really annoying. Her constant infatuation with Daniel and even Cam got a little annoying. BUT there were times when I felt her pain and frustrations. Saying so, I think Kate, honestly, pulled the teenage girl issues out very well. I liked how there were issues and not just lovey dovey things, ya know?Daniel and Cam didn’t get as developed as I thought they would but I did like them both in their own way. I do believe we'll get to know them better in book 2! I did like Penn and I was glad Luce had her. She felt like a comic relief to me and made me laugh plenty of times.

The plot was well written but moved very unevenly. To clarify, it would be calm and Luce would be having a conversation with someone when some action might happen. A few paragraphs later, the action died down. I saw this happen throughout most of this book and it didn’t fit to well with me. All in all, Fallen by Lauren Kate, was a good start to a series I hope to continue even though it was not one of my favorites. BUT she made me fall in love with her characters and left me with many questions that I am dying to know about!

Cover: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Overall:
4.png Four Stars image by Adaleelee Though it was not my most favorite read, I liked it just as well.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't a huge fan of this book. I didn't like how there were so many questions left unanswered. I didn't like the characters all that much either. I couldn't get over Daniel flipping her off in the beginning and then Luce being all gaga over that.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS