Saturday, November 13, 2010

Review: Firelight (Firelight #1) by Sophie Jordan

Title: Firelight (Firelight #1)
Author: Sophie Jordan
Release Date: September 7, 2010
Publisher: HarperTeen
With her rare ability to breathe fire, Jacinda is special even among the draki—the descendants of dragons who can shift between human and dragon forms. But when Jacinda’s rebelliousness leads her family to flee into the human world, she struggles to adapt, even as her draki spirit fades. The one thing that revives it is Will, whose family hunts her kind. Jacinda can’t resist getting closer to him, even though she knows she’s risking not only her life but the draki’s most closely guarded secret.

Review: Dragons are one of the best known mythical creatures in the world. Yet there aren’t a lot of books about dragons out there. So I was instantly intrigued when Sophie Jordan introduced us to the Draki, descendants of dragons who can shift into dragons and humans! I will not be the first to say that this was a great, and VERY ORIGINAL idea.


I have a few mixed feelings about this book. For one, it took me a while to get into but that was because Jordan was introducing us to this new world, and world building is very important. I liked how she got into the story…especially the love story. I’m a hopeless romantic, yes, BUT the love-at-first-sigh concept has been used so often, I rarely fall for it anymore. The beginning was slow but the meeting of Will and Jacinda was perfect.


Jordan created really great characters. Jacinda was a great protagonist, though I did get annoyed with her, but it was understandable. I mean, she was forced by her mother to adapt to a world in which she didn’t necessarily want to be a part of. She loves her family but she just didn’t want to leave her Draki behind.


The love story is a huge part of this book and I loved it. Though it was slow moving and Jacinda and Will’s relationship had a rather rocky beginning and middle, it got better with every page. Oh, and did I mention that Will is sexy? Like really sexy? I’m not sure what it is but I have a thing for the tall, dark and handsome guy. Yeah there’s a guy like that in this book and his name is Cassian and HE IS SUPER SEXY TOO!

Now, there were a few things that I didn’t like. I didn’t like Jacinda’s mother. I know she moved her daughters to protect them but I didn’t like it. Though out the book, it seemed to me that she was ignoring Jacinda and paying more attention to Tamra, Jacinda’s sister who didn’t manifest (meaning, she’s not a Draki). Maybe it was because Jacinda was a very powerful and rare Draki and her mother wasn’t but she was not my favorite.

Sophie Jordan's YA debut Firelight was a great read! With an original story ideas, great characters and wonderful plot, I can't wait for more from the talented author!

Cover:5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Overall:5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I've seen this book blogged about a lot lately. Definitely sounds intriguing. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS