Monday, December 27, 2010

Review: Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Title: Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour
Author: Morgan Matson
Release Date: May 4th 2010
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Overall:5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew—just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn’t seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she’s coming to terms with her father’s death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road—diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards—this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.
Review:When I began this book, I wasn’t sure as to what I should expect. The premise sounded good and I loved the cover, but would the book be just as good? Morgan Matson’s debut novel, Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour was a great read. Not only was there plenty of fun moments, there were times when it was sad. This is a great book about enjoying when life gives you and well, moving on.


Amy Curry was a great character to read about. Matson wrote her in a way that was easy for me to relate to her. I’ve never gone through what Amy’s is going through in this book, but again, Matson’s writing was phenomenal. Roger was a great character too and I fell in love with him the second he came into the book. The relationship that Amy and Roger share thought this book was a refreshing one. Though I knew she and Roger would fall for each other, it was nice to see that Matson didn’t just go into love. Their relationship began on friendship and trust, which was nice.


I’ve always loved books about road trips and this book was one like them. I loved how receipts, postcards, notes, and even diner menus were included in this book. It made reading the book all the more fun! It also showed us a better view of what each of these characters was like. My most favorite part would have to be the playlists, though. I love discovering new music and I loved seeing the songs that the two listened to on their road trip. Many of them I had never heard of so I got some songs out of it!


Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour was heartwarming, funny, cute and overall, a great read. I can’t wait to read more of Morgan Matson’s writing. This book is the proof of her awesome writing style and ability.


Plot:
Characters: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Ending:
Writing: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Cover:5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee

1 comment:

  1. I've heard a lot of awesome things about this book, and I'm glad to see another great review, especially since you gave 5 stars to the characters (that's what usually makes or breaks the book for me). Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS