Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Review: Faithful by Janet Fox

Title: Faithful
Author:Janet Fox
Release Date: May 13, 2010
Publisher:Speak
Overall:


Sixteen-year-old Maggie Bennet’s life is in tatters. Her mother has disappeared, and is presumed dead. The next thing she knows, her father has dragged Maggie away from their elegant Newport home, off on some mad excursion to Yellowstone in Montana. Torn from the only life she’s ever known, away from her friends, from society, and verging on no prospects, Maggie is furious and devastated by her father’s betrayal. But when she arrives, she finds herself drawn to the frustratingly stubborn, handsome Tom Rowland, the son of a park geologist, and to the wild romantic beauty of Yellowstone itself. And as Tom and the promise of freedom capture Maggie’s heart, Maggie is forced to choose between who she is and who she wants to be.
Review:I personally love historical fiction books but I can be very picky about them. The book has to be accurate to a point where I can read more about it. Or in other words, some research has gone into writing that book.


Now, I’ve heard and read mixed reviews and honestly, I have mixed feelings about this novel. I liked some aspects of it, while other aspects didn’t work with me at all. The cover is gorgeous and that was what drew me to this book.


For one, Maggie, the protagonist, got on my nerves a lot. Not only was she really annoying, she was so winey! In the beginning of the book, she’s so happy with everything in her life and then she goes to talk about how her mother’s absence has made life hard for her. There are many, many places where all Maggie does is talk about what she wants to happen. Even though the time that this book is set in did not allow women to have such control over their lives, the times were changing, as were the people. While in Montana, she met a woman who worked something very uncommon in America during that time. I just felt that Maggie could have done more with her life, how she wanted, rather than just complain about it.


Now, I’m not going to lie, Janet Fox has writing ability. She knows where she’s going with her story and she knows what she wants to be told. I only wished that she’d applied that a bit better in this book. First, the plot was written well but could have been a lot less confusing. The events could have been more detailed and explained a lot more than they were. The pace was another problem I had. With this novel, I felt that it was too slow and at times, unsteady. For instance, one second it’s all calm and nice, and the next, there’s action! Sure this is nice at times, refreshing, but other times, it’s just confusing. Now, after I read on and understood a lot of things, this problem went away. It didn't bug me when I got near the middle and that's when the pace really picked up!


Some of the secondary characters didn’t work all too well with me either. I loved the character of Tom and how he would basically scold Maggie when she was, well, acting like a spoiled brat. But sadly, I didn’t feel that Tom’s character was developed enough by the end of the book for what happened in the ending, to happen. Other characters, like Maggie’s father and Kula. I liked the other characters and I felt that it was nice of Fox to bring them in to show different aspects of life in 1904.


Though I had problems with this book, I actually didn’t mind it that bad. It was an interesting read and I think I’m going to give Forgiven, the second book of this series a chance.


Plot:
Characters:
Ending:
Writing: 4.png Four Stars image by Adaleelee
Cover:5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS