Saturday, December 18, 2010

Review: Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Title: Halo
Author:Alexandra Adornetto
Release Date: August 31, 2010
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Overall:2.png image by Adaleelee
Three angels are sent down to bring good to the world: Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, a teenage girl who is the least experienced of the trio. But she is the most human, and when she is romantically drawn to a mortal boy, the angels fear she will not be strong enough to save anyone—especially herself—from the Dark Forces.


Is love a great enough power against evil?
Review: I was looking forward to reading this book so much. First of all, look at that cover! It’s breath taking! Second, the premise is awesome and thirdly, the author is eighteen.


But, I am deeply sad to say that I was disappointed by this book. Can I just say that I was not looking forward to a another version of Twilight? The main difference? There were angles and not vampires. Bethany, someone I had hoped to like, was much more naive than I had expected her to be. She didn’t even talk like a teenager! It bugged me a lot since she’s supposed to be seventeen, and Alexandra Adornetto is eighteen, and the fact that Bethany is the least experienced of the three angels and more human, I wanted her to speak like teenagers. She was much too formal and I couldn't relate to her.


As I said, the premise was very promising but the plot was just not for me. First, it was much too slow. And second, there was too much unnecessary information that could have been taken out. The whole love-at-first-sight didn't work for me either. I also felt that the novel was a bit preachy but not too much.


And the characters. Ivy and Gabriel are supposed to be very experienced. I felt that they were much too naive as well. Ivy was just a care free girl and Gabriel is supposed to be the Archangel, but neither of them act like they are supposed to (according to the premise.) And my goodness, Xavier was much too perfect to be realistic. I mean seriously, a seventeen year old boy like that? I’d be super happy to meet one like him, but at the moment, I have not met such a perfect boy who has such a formal way of speaking. Realistic teen boys have flaws. Make him short or something; anything, could go! Oh, and there were more cliché’s in this book than I’ve ever read in any book.


I do believe that Adornetto has a gift of writing and being published at fourteen proves that point. This book, though sometime enjoyable to read, did not work for me. I am trying not to be too critical, but these are my views. I have also given my reasons for not enjoying this book so much.


Plot:
Characters: 2.png image by Adaleelee
Ending:2.png image by Adaleelee
Writing: 2.png image by Adaleelee
Cover:5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee

2 comments:

  1. I definitely want to give this book a shot, which is why I asked for it for christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the book! I was thinking of buying this book just because of the cover, but if it's not a good read, it's a relief to not get it. Thanks for the detailed review!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS