Friday, May 11, 2012

Review: Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins

Title: Mockingjay
Series: The Hunger Games #3
Author: Suzanne Collins
Release Date: August 24th 2010
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Source: Borrowed 


Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans -- except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay -- no matter what the personal cost.

Reviews: 
I think it's high time I reviewed this book. Why hadn't I reviewed this book for such a long time? Simply put, I didn't know how I felt about it. Did I love it or did I hate it?After a while, I just stopped thinking about it but then I thought a few days ago "I should review this book." So here I am. I'm going to do this review a little differently that I usually do. I'll say what I liked and what I didn't like:

What I Liked:
  • The stakes are so much higher in this book! Seriously, the climax was building up and I could so feel it!
  • Y'all, no matter how bad this sounds, I was very happy when Snow and Coin were killed. 
  • The last parts of this book were *sadly* just as bloody and gory as I had anticipated it to be. That wasn't a let down, no matter how sad it was! 
  • There was no sugarcoating anything. Deaths, distraction, deceit, all of it was there to it's fullest max and it was...well, perfect for this type of book.
  • Suzanne Collins is such a great writer and her writing was just....awesome. 
  • Lot's and lots of action, just like I had anticipated. Not a whole lot of *sadly* character development, but lots of action! 
What Didn't Work For Me: 
  • Where was Gale? It felt to me that Gale was so important in The Hunger Games and Catching Fire (okay, maybe not THAT much, but you know) and he just seemed to disappear from the pages!
  • Katniss didn't get to make her choice with who she wanted to be with. I was SO unhappy about this because after all that she's been through, she couldn't choose that for herself. It was pretty much chosen for her. 
  • There seemed to be no new government set up! I mean, there's a war and all so shouldn't something come up to replace the old one, so things don't get all chaotic? 
  • I KNEW something sad was going to happen but really? Prim? Couldn't it be anyone else? 
  • OMG, the absolute ending was VAGUE. Kailia not happy! 
  • Katniss...what happened to you my dear? I think most of you who've read the book KNOW her attitude and I just....what happened to the strong, fierce girl I met in The Hunger Games. Mind you, I could UNDERSTAND a little why she acted the way she did but it was a little too much. 
Overall, I was a little disappointed. I had a few predictions (which came true) and I knew somethings were going to happen. Some people loved it while other's hated it. I for one was on the fence. 

Rating:
5/5

Cover Comments: 
The covers have stayed so true to the series and the books!
My Previous Reviews: 
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS