Saturday, December 25, 2010

Review: Whisper by Pheobe Kitanidis

Title: Whisper
Author: Pheobe Kitanidis
Release Date: April 27, 2010
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Source: Library
I’d love a cup of coffee. I wish she knew how pretty she was. I wish I could drop this kid in the dryer sometimes. I just want her to be happy. I hope she didn’t find out what Ben said about her. I wish I knew how many calories were in a bite of muffin…

Joy is used to hearing Whispers. She’s used to walking down the street and instantly knowing people’s deepest, darkest desires. She uses this talent for good, to make people happy and give them what they want. But for her older sister, Jessica, the family gift is a curse, and she uses it to make people’s lives—especially Joy’s—miserable. Still, when Joy Hears a frightening whisper from Jessica's own mind, she knows she has to save her sister, even if it means deserting her friends, stealing a car and running away with a boy she barely knows—a boy who may have a dark secret of his own.
Review: 2010 has been one heck of a year for books! All of these debuts have blown my mind away! And Pheobe Kitanidis' debut, Whisper, delivers just like all the others. The concept of this book is the fact that our protagonist, Joy, can hear thoughts, or whispers. Kitanidis put a great twist to this story making it her own. Joy can't always hear what people are thinking; she's not a mind reader exactly, and I found this to be...VERY refreshing. I literally sighed with relief when I found this out. Not only that, but there's so much that Joy, and in turn, the reader, doesn't know about Hearing. Of course, her older sister Ika isn't much help either.

So begins Joy's story. I loved this girl. She was so realistic to me! I have an older sister, and Joy reacted to her sister just like I would react to mine. Maybe not as...wordy, or more forcefully than Joy, but I understood her. The drama that almost all teens go through was there, a sub plot, but it just made the overall plot better. Joy is a strong headed, independent and overall confident girl that was a great character. Kitanidis had great character development!

**SPOILERS COMING**
Jamie was a character that I was not expecting to come in, and this shows how well Kitanidis can put in a surprise that makes the plot work VERY well. He just happens to be the younger brother of Joy's crush. Joy and Jamie don't really know each other but share their secrets with each other. Jamie steals his brother's car to help Joy. Now, that right there, was WOW! I knew that instant, well, actually before THAT event, that Jamie was going to play a big role in the rest of the story. And he did. The friendship that develops between Joy and Jamie happens over (I think) one day...but it doesn't sound as if they just really met that day. Kitanidis was able to pull off well written dialogue that made the conversations between the two flow very well. I was also very happy when Jamie became Joy's love interest. Over the course of the book, I fell in love with Jamie! Thanks for that, Pheobe!
**End Spoiler**
Whisper was an excellent debut that makes Kitanidis' writing shine. The characters are great, the plot is well thought out, the dialogue is well written. Whisper will actually make you wonder what it is that people are really thinking. Not only that, but it also shows how some decisions are not meant to be made all by one's self. Whisper is a must read!

Overall: 5/5
Cover: 5/5
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS