Sunday, March 20, 2011

Review: Siren by Tricia Rayburn

Title: Siren
Author: Tricia Rayburn
Release Date: July 13, 2010
Publisher: Egmont USA
Overall: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Vacationing in Winter Harbor, Maine, is a tradition for Vanessa and Justine Sands, and that means spending time with the Carmichael boys. This summer, Vanessa is determined to channel some of her older sister’s boldness, get over her fear of the ocean, and maybe turn her friendship with Simon Carmichael into something much more.


But when Justine goes cliff-diving after a big family argument, and her body washes ashore the next day, Vanessa is sure that it was more than an accident. She is more certain of this, when she discovers that her sister was keeping some big secrets and Caleb Carmichael’s gone missing. Suddenly, the entire oceanfront town is abuzz when a series of grim, water-related accidents occur, with the male victims washed ashore grinning from ear to ear.


Vanessa and Simon team up to figure out if these creepy deaths have anything to do with Justine and Caleb. But will what Vanessa discovers mean the end of her summer romance, or even life as she knows it?
Review:When I first saw the cover for Siren, I got scared. Though it doesn’t look very sparkly and eerie on a computer screen, when you have it in your hands? Ah, yeah, creepy. I think it was the eyes that made me pick up this book and read what it was about. After I read the synopsis, I just had to read it. Tricia Rayburn’s Siren was a fresh new story, something I needed to read.

I felt that the synopsis gave most of the plot and story line away when I first began the book but this wasn’t the case. For most of the book, the reader knows who is killing these men. Why is this person killing them? Well, that’s the real mystery. Rayburn was able to write a book where things were given away from the beginning but weren’t necessarily the answers to all of our questions.

Rayburn had a clear, cut writing style that fit the book perfectly. The pace was good and constant throughout the book. One thing I liked about her writing was her writing of the Siren’s. I’ve studied Sirens from Greek myth and they aren’t the nicest women. Beginning this book, I wondered if Rayburn would make them the nice ladies…but she didn’t. Rayburn added history and myth to the Siren’s and they were scary. Not a lot of homicidal siren’s in YA today.

The characters alone in this book were interesting. Vanessa grew so much during this book. When most people will accept someone death, like Vanessa’s parents accepted Justine’s death, not many people will question it. Vanessa knew that there was something off with her sister’s death but what? This began her journey to find the answers and I loved her for it. The relationship between the two sisters had much more depth than I had anticipated. Simon and his brother were great characters but I loved Simon. I also loved that since Vanessa and Simon had been old friends, they stayed friends throughout the book. Yes, they fell for each other but this happened gradually and this made it even more realistic.

I loved this book. I finished it in one sitting. I was drawn into the story, the characters were well written, and it was a fresh story. Again, there aren’t that many books about homicidal sirens out there. I recommend it!



Plot: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Characters: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Ending:5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Writing:5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Cover:5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this book! One of my 2010 favs! I agree, the cover is really really creepy.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS