Sunday, October 16, 2011

Review: Enchanted Ivy by Sarah Beth Durst

Title: Enchanted Ivy
Author: Sarah Beth Durst
Release Date: October 12, 2010
Publisher:Margaret K. McElderry
Source: Author (for Review)
What Lily Carter wants most in the world is to attend Princeton University just like her grandfather. When she finally visits the campus, Grandpa surprises her; She has been selected to take the top-secret Legacy Test. Passing means automatic acceptance to Princeton. Sweet! Lily's test is to find the Ivy Key. But what is she looking for? Where does she start? As she searches, Lily is joined by Tye, a cute college boy with orange and black hair who says he's her guard. That's weird. But things get seriously strange when a gargoyle talks to her. He tells her that there are two Princetons; the ordinary one and a magical one; and the Key opens the gate between them. But there are more secrets that surround Lily. Worse secrets.PWhen Lily enters the magical Princeton, she uncovers old betrayals and new dangers, and a chance at her dream becomes a fight for her life. Soon Lily is caught in a power struggle between two worlds, with her family at its center. In a place where Knights slay monsters, boys are were-tigers, and dragons might be out for blood, Lily will need all of her ingenuity and courage; and a little magic; to unite the worlds and unlock the secrets of her past and her future.
Review: I fell in love with Sarah Beth Durst’s writing and storytelling abilities after reading her debut novel, Ice. When I heard that she was going to come out with another book, I jumped at the chance of receiving a copy for review! I wanted to know if Sarah would fall in the horrible second book mode or if she would prevail. I’m happy to say that I am wholeheartedly happy with this one!

Sarah’s writing ability and how she is able to weave such great stories together continues to astonish me. The plot was thought out, well paced (it’s such a great adventure) and just awesome. I love how going to college and Lily’s background is introduced and brought about in the plot. We learn new things along with Lily and that makes it all the more fun!

This book has a vast range of characters, from the humans, to the dryads, fairies, and gargoyles that are pulled out wonderfully. I loved how her gargoyles and the setting were based on the real Princeton so I got a really good fell of that place! Lily was a teen with whom I could relate to (in certain ways of course!) and I felt for during the tough times. I liked how she weighted her options instead of just not accepting the challenge at all.

Enchanted Ivy was a really great book with strange but cool creatures, a fierce and loyal protagonist and a great adventure, one full of twists, turns, surprises, and my favorite, romance. I wanted MORE. More from the characters and the world and the story itself. I would love it if somehow Sarah Beth Durst brings us back into this…enchanted world she created!

Overall: 5/5
Cover Comments: 5/5--Love this cover and how well it goes with the book! And it's shiney!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS