Thursday, April 21, 2011

Review: Delirium (Delirium #1) by Lauren Oliver

Title: Delirium (Delirium #1)
Author: Lauren Oliver
Release Date: February 1, 2011
Publisher: Harper Teen
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn't understand that once love--the deliria--blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold.


Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she'll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.


But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: she falls in love.
Review: I love Lauren Oliver’s writing. Her debut, Before I Fall, was one of the best books I’ve ever read. When I heard that she was going to have another book coming out, I was ecstatic. Then I heard it was going to be dystopian and I was even more excited. When I got an ARC for review, I began reading it that day and I finished it that day too. It blew me away!


Love is a disease. It’s forbidden in Lena’s world and everyone gets an operation to remove any chance of them falling in love. I was intrigued by this dystopian topic. Love is always around in most books so making love against the rules and dangerous made me want to read the book even more. The story had a slow beginning overall and I had some trouble getting into but it didn’t last for that long. As soon as Alex was introduced, the story moved right along. I loved the world that Oliver created. It was vivid and descriptive. The ending was crazy and I hated it only for the fact that it was such a HUGE CLIFFHANGER!

Love is a disease; I get that. WHY? Why was it so bad to fall in love? My only problem with this book would be the fact that we never find out why it’s such a bad thing. I understand that it’s the first book in a trilogy but background information should be included in the first book as the introduction. I felt that a lot was missing because I couldn’t figure out why love was such a bad thing!

I think Oliver has a very poetic writing style. She has a way with words that make them sound so great. The way she portrays her characters and writes about them make them so believable. She writes a lot of descriptions to bring her world to life. I do think that sometimes that there were some unnecessary details that could have been left out but that’s just my opinion. Overall, Oliver’s wonderful writing style brought out this story in a wonderful way.

I love Oliver’s characters because they’re so realistic and have so much depth. Lena, our protagonist, has grown up hearing about how bad love is. Her past with her mother haunts her and her family. Lena has one thing on her mind: What if I become like my mother? Lena doesn’t want to fall in love. She wants nothing to do with it. Everything is fine until she meets Alex. Alex begins to make her feel things she shouldn’t feel. She wants to go against the rules but she doesn’t. Lena was a great character and the conflict that was raging inside of her was real, true, and raw. I felt bad for her a lot of times but other times, she got really annoying. Alex was an awesome love interest and I loved reading about him and his life. Lena’s best friend Hanna was also an interesting character and though I liked her personality, she got on my nerves quite a bit. The other secondary characters such as Lena’s other friends and family were a great addition to this book.

Delirium was everything I had hoped it would be and more. I can’t wait for the next book in the series. If you read Oliver’s debut, then you HAVE to read this one. If you’re out for a good read, check it out too!

Overall: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Cover: 3.png Three Stars image by Adaleelee

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS