Saturday, April 02, 2011

Review: Academy 7 by Anne Osterlund

Title: Academy 7
Author: Anne Osterlund
Release Date: May 14, 2009
Publisher: Puffin
Overall: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Aerin Renning is a scarred fugitive, Dane Madousin a rebellious son of privilege. On the surface, they have nothing in common. But the two most competitive freshmen at Academy 7 share an undiscovered bond. Both harbor a dangerous secret that threatens their own destruction. And while their safety depends on their staying apart, the two are inexplicably drawn to each other. Even as unknown forces conspire to separate them, their competition turns to friendship, and their friendship to romance. Now not only their lives—but their hearts—are at stake. To survive, the two must unite all their knowledge, skills, and gifts to uncover a secret bigger than either could have imagined. A secret as big as the entire universe...
Review:What was I expecting from this book? A lot actually, since I had already read Anne Osterlund’s Aurelia. I loved Aurelia and I had hoped that Academy 7 didn’t disappoint. I’m happy to say that I am just in love with Osterlund’s characters and the world she created in Academy 7 as I was expecting.

I was expecting a fantasy but I found sci-fi instead. I mean, their on another planet! In many planets actually, and I got some dystopian vibe too. The plot and story line were more thought out than I had anticipated. It wasn’t something I could guess but it was something that kept me guessing. Osterlund was able to write a plot that I couldn’t figure out until I was told of the outcome. There were lots of deep, dark secrets all throughout this book and this made the plot even more exciting. Overall, Osterlund didn’t want to give away everything in the beginning and she wanted people to keep guessing.


Osterlund has a fresh, fascinating style of writing. She changes from Erin to Dane and writes them in a way that makes them seem so…real. Sure there were a few places where I would have changed some stuff but that was all. From this book, I have to say that Osterlund knows how to convey fear, anxiety, wonder, and well, fear in a character. Erin has everything to lose and she’s in a world she’s never known about. She knows not a single soul. How scary is that? And Osterlund conveyed this fear perfectly.


Erin comes on as a weak girl in the beginning but she proved me wrong. She was a strong, independent girl who was going to fight before she went down. She didn’t let her guard down, knowing what could happen to her if she did. Dane was the typical “bad” boy with a good heart, except…he wasn’t. I got over the cliché very quickly because he and Erin worked so well together. Sure they were opposites but working together, they had a certain bond that pulled me in. Not only that, but there was that romance between the two of them when both the boy and the girl don’t want to admit that they like the other. This concept would have been annoying to me EXCEPT IT WASN’T THE FOCUS! I can love Osterlund’s writing because this story was about Erin and Dane trying to figure out who they are and what they want to do. It’s about them growing as people and learning to accept the facts of life.


Overall, it was a great book. It had a great plot and story line, good characters, and a creative, different world. I only wished that we would have learned more about this world or that Osterlund might write another book set in this world.



Plot: 4.png Four Stars image by Adaleelee
Characters: 4.png Four Stars image by Adaleelee
Ending: 4.png Four Stars image by Adaleelee
Writing: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Cover: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS