Sunday, April 03, 2011

Review: The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine #1) by Bree Despain

Title: The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine #1)
Author: Bree Despain
Release Date: December 22, 2009
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Overall: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
A Prodigal Son


A Dangerous Love


A Deadly Secret


Grace Divine—daughter of the local pastor—always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared and her brother Jude came home covered in his own blood.


Now that Daniel's returned, Grace must choose between her growing attraction to him and her loyalty to her brother.


As Grace gets closer to Daniel, she learns the truth about that mysterious night and how to save the ones she loves, but it might cost her the one thing she cherishes most: her soul.
Review: I’d heard such good things about this book. I’d had it on my bookshelf for quite a while now and I finally decided to read it! I can’t believe I waited this long to read it! I read it in one day and I have to admit, it surprised me a lot. Bree Despian can write one heck of a book!


At first, I wasn’t sure what the story was. I knew it had to do with the Prodigal Son and all but what else. How did Grace, Daniel, and Jude fall into it all? The plot had a slow beginning and Despain took her time unfolding the story, answering the questions, and solving the mystery of what was going on. I was confused at the beginning but it got better as more things were explained. Once more characters got involved, the pace picked up and this is where the fun began!

Despain has her own writing style and I believe it’s very interesting. She put in some Biblical references and there was a lot of talk about God. I think it was the perfect thing for this book. She gave Grace such a rhythmic voice that just brought out Grace’s personality. Despain did a great job of keeping the mystery alive and kept me guessing.

I wasn’t sure if I was going to like Grace or not. When the story began, she was okay; a little off set but a good character none the less. It’s when Daniel came back that I began to wonder what kind of a girl she was. Was she going to get scared and run away from the truth or was she going to accept it and help Daniel. I was happy when she proved to be a strong, intelligent girl who didn’t need a guy to take care of her. Daniel was a good character though I wasn’t the biggest fan of his appearing and disappearing act. Besides that, he was the perfect guy for Grace. I liked Jude but he got really annoying when Daniel came back into the picture. For some reason, I felt that there was something wrong with Jude. I was right. The other characters helped bring this story together and most of them were very important, even though they might not have been around for long.

The Dark Divine was a perfect start to a series that I’m sure I am going to love. The one thing that bugged me the most was the supernatural creature in this story. This story first gave me the impression that it was going to be something completely different and I was disappointed when I found out about the creature (you’ll understand once you read it.) I will be reading The Lost Saint soon and I know that it’s going to be just as amazing as this one!

Plot: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Characters: 4.png Four Stars image by Adaleelee
Ending: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Writing: 4.png Four Stars image by Adaleelee
Cover: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS