Thursday, April 07, 2011

Review: Pink by Lili Wilkinson

Title: Pink
Author: Lili Wilkinson
Release Date: February 8, 2011
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Overall: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee I loved it!!!!
Ava has a secret. She is tired of her ultracool attitude, ultra-radical politics, and ultrablack clothing. She's ready to try something new—she's even ready to be someone new. Someone who fits in, someone with a gorgeous boyfriend, someone who wears pink.


Transferring to Billy Hughes School for Academic Excellence is the perfect chance to try on a new identity. But just in case things don't work out, Ava is hiding her new interests from her parents, and especially from her old girlfriend.


Secrets have a way of being hard to keep, though, and Ava finds that changing herself is more complicated than changing her wardrobe. Even getting involved in the school musical raises issues she never imagined. As she faces surprising choices and unforeseen consequences, Ava wonders if she will ever figure out who she really wants to be.


Humor, heart, and the joys of drama—on- and offstage—combine in Ava's delight-fully colorful journey of self-discovery.
Review: I was a little hesitant to pick up this book when I first got asked if I wanted to review it. I liked the cover, the summary got to me, and it was blurbed by John Green. I took a leap of faith and read this book. I’m very sorry to say that I had any doubts about this book. Lili Wilkinson wrote a heartwarming tale of a girl’s quest to figure out who she is and who she wants to be.


All Ava wants is to be normal. This is the very broad plot of this story. Delving deeply into this story, though, we find so much more. She changes schools and gets a wardrobe makeover. She wants to be a normal girl who wears pink and likes guys. Along the way, Ava realizes that some things aren’t all they seem and people aren’t as amazing as we first realize. A lot of the plot for this story is accepting who you are and not trying to change that.

I loved Wilkinson’s quick dialogue, the “would you rather” and just her writing. She wrote quick sentences that carried a lot of meaning and changed the way we saw things. Each of her characters had a different way of speaking and Wilkinson really did a great job in the writing of their story and who they were.

Ava was such a great protagonist. She wasn’t perfect, but rather far from it and she accepted that. Through her journey to change herself, she hurt the people she loved and made many mistakes. She owned up to each and every one of them and made them write. Not many people would do that so I loved that she did. Wilkinson’s other characters were just as much fun to read about as Ava. I especially loved the Screws and I loved how each of them had their own story and personality. All of them helped change Ava and helped her find who she was.

I loved this book. I read it in about a day and I wanted to re-read it! I had anticipated a chick lit book, full of bubbly girls who had boy problems but this book turned out to be so much more. It was a heartwarming, funny journey of friendship and romance, and exactly how hard is it to figure out who we are. I loved the ending especially because of what happens. I won’t say what it is but let’s just say that it is very accurate!

Plot: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Characters: 4.png Four Stars image by Adaleelee
Ending: 4.png Four Stars image by Adaleelee
Writing: 4.png Four Stars image by Adaleelee
Cover: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS