Thursday, May 05, 2011

Review: Princess for Hire (Princess for Hire #1) by Lindsaey Leavitt

Title: Princess for Hire
Series: Princess for Hire #1
Author: Lindsaey Leavitt
Release Date: March 16, 2010
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Source: Library
When Desi Bascomb gets discovered by the elite Facade Agency–royalty surrogates extraordinaire–her life goes from glamour-starved to spectacular in a blink. As her new agent, Meredith, explains, Desi has a rare magical ability: when she applies the ancient Egyptian formula “Royal Rouge,” she can transform temporarily into the exact lookalike of any princess who needs her subbing services. Dream come true, right?

Well, Desi soon discovers that subbing involves a lot more than wearing a tiara and waving at cameras. Like, what do you do when a bullying older sister puts you on a heinous crash diet? Or when the tribal villagers gather to watch you perform a ceremonial dance you don’t know? Or when a princess’s conflicted sweetheart shows up to break things off–and you know she would want you to change his mind?

In this hilarious series debut, one girl’s dream of glamour transforms into something bigger: the desire to make a positive impact. And an impact Desi makes, one royal fiasco at a time.
Review: I loved Sean Griswold’s Head and I was eagerly awaiting my chance to read the Princess for Hire series by Lindsey Leavitt. I’ve now read Princess for Hire and I loved it! Even though it’s a middle grade novel, I wanted to give it a try. This is Lindsey Leavitt’s debut novel and I wish I had read this one earlier!

Okay, a thirteen year old girl who doesn’t like her life very much makes a wish for something to happen on a fish! Yes, a fish! Then, one night, a HUGE bubble pops revealing a lady who tells this girl that she can be a princess substitute. Meaning, be a princess for as long as necessary! What thirteen-year-old wouldn’t want that? I sure wish I could have had that. That said, I loved the idea for this story. Desi could become a princess substitute because she had MP (magic potential). I’ve never actually read a book where there is an agency who hires girls to sub for princesses. I felt that this idea was fresh and unique and wonderful and magical!

As with Sean’s Head, Leavitt has her own writing style. She had grace, humor, sadness, and romance all woven together at the level of who she is writing about and who she is writing to. reading this novel, I felt like I was a thirteen-year-old with problems that 13 year-olds face. She writing is genuine, well written, and believable! I love it!

Desi is a fun character from page one. I knew I was going to like her from the beginning. Reading this book, Desi came through as such a great girl, with a big heart who only wants to fit in and make a difference. This girl, though, doesn’t try to be one of the cheerleaders. No, not Desi! Desi was her own person, very independent. She made t-shirt that’s voiced her opinions and she didn’t let what other’s thought get to her…most of the time. Desi was a real girl; someone who left sad, scared, angry, and helpless and so much more. The side characters, such as the people the princess knew and a certain prince were great side characters who helped move the story along.

Though it’s for middle grade, mostly girls, Princess for Hire is such a cute, quick, and wonderful read. It’ll make you laugh and think and it will bring back memories of when you were 13. I’ve read book two in the series, The Royal Treatment, and I loved it just as much, or maybe even more, than I loved this one! I suggest you read this now!

Overall: 5/5
Cover: 5/5It's super cute and goes really well with the book!

1 comment:

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS